Timing of taking vitamins

Kim26
on 4/25/11 6:43 am
I am a week out today, and have been given vitamins to take two times per day for the rest of my life (in addition to my daily multi). They are iron/B-12 called Ferotrin. I got the prescription filled, but on the "directions" it mentions that it id best taken on an empty stomach....and not to take 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain bread/cereals, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.

I had Type 2 diabetes before the surgery which I controlled well with Metformin. Since the surgery I have not been on this medicine, and my readings have been in the mid-70's.  Last week there was a day when I got stuck at the doctor/hospital for hours waiting for a test to be done, and did not eat for awhile.  My numbers when I got home were in the 60's - with the lowest at 59.

I had thought it best from then on to wake up, have a protein shake or something to eat right away so that I can keep my numbers up. Now with this vitamin, I am not sure how to get that in there when I can not have it with any milk or egg products (which is pretty much what I am living off of right now).  I was thinking that maybe I could get up and immediately take the vitamin. Then have a spoonful of re-fried beans or something if I felt low...otherwise, wait the hour and then begin eating breakfast or protein shake, etc?

Another question I have is - with such a small stomach, do these "directions" fully apply to me? Is 1 hour before and 2 hours after milk and eggs for a normal stomach...and I would really only need to wait 20-30 minutes?  I can call my surgeon's office to ask, but I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone else has similar timing issues on when to take certain things when...and how to make sure you are getting everything in...and correctly.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
DComstock2010
on 4/25/11 6:51 am - CA
I would assume that the rules apply to you. There may be something in those products that prevent you from absorbing the vitamin that you have been give to take. I would also stay away from the protien shake while taking the vitamin because it is a milk product. The refried beans sound like a good alternative for now until you can eat more foods.
RNY- 2/18/2011

chrisgraves
on 4/25/11 10:41 am - MA
I take my Iron Supplement in the middle of the night when I get up to "answer natures call".  This had worked out wll for me that way I'm empty and don't have to worry about any interactions.  Prior to doing this I was running into issues trying to get my Multi's & calcium all taken especially if any of my work meets ran over.

Good luck

To my knowledge Absorbtion rates still apply to us.
whatachief
on 4/25/11 11:27 am
I take Vitron C - an iron supplement in the morning with my shake.  I just avoid taking calcium for two hours after.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 101 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?