Confused about what/how I should be eating

charlotte180
on 4/24/11 3:32 pm - Phoenix, AZ
During my pre-op class, the nurse said:

1) We should be getting 60-70 grams of protein every day

2) After the 3 week liquid phase, we should not be using protein drinks (because we should be getting our calories from food, which will stay in the pouch longer, and be more satisfying)

3) We should be having 1/4 cup for meals, as that's the size of the pouch

4) We should only eat 3x a day - and no more.

Well, problem with this is, if I'm eathing 1/4 cup, 3x a day - how the hell am I supposed to get my protein in????

Ladytazz
on 4/24/11 4:16 pm, edited 4/24/11 4:17 pm
You can't, that is the problem with getting all our protein from food. Maybe in a while but not early out.
I hated the protein drinks and couldn't wait until I could get all my protein from food. Then I realized it wasn't going to happen for a while so I decided to make the best of it. I learned how to make my drinks yummy and now I look forward to them. I am 9 months out and I am rarely hungry. I have 2 or 3 protein drinks a day. When I get in 3 I usually get about 125 grams of protein so if I didn't get them in I would probably only get about 50 or so grams. I have found that my weight loss is best when I get in over 100 grams of protein a day.
BTW I eat (including the protein drinks) 5 times a day. I don't get enough food in at one sitting to be able to only eat 3 times a day.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

grmadeb01
on 4/24/11 9:33 pm - FL
you have to eat dense protein at your meals...meats and cheeses...i was told no soups, grains, breads, etc for at least 6 months....i am just little over 2 weeks post op....scrambled eggs, with ham and cheese...all protein...tuna has lots of portein..i was told for every oz of protien counts as 7 grams of protein as a way to keep track...i am very close to getting my protein in with no protein shakes...it can be done, but takes some creative meals, thats for sure..
hope this helps
have a great day
debby
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 4/25/11 9:22 am
Those were my instructions when I had mine also. You won't get it all in at first but you'll work up to it. Your body will use stores until then, and you'll be fine. I've only ever eaten 3 times a day and my meals were 1/4cup per meal for the first 3 months, worked up to 1/2 cup by 6 months out, up to 3/4 of a cup at 9 months out and we work up to 1 cup to 1 1/4 by one year out and forever after that. I'm 9 1/2 yrs out and still use the one cup per meal rule and it works for me.
Jen 9 yrs post op rny.
Most Active