Hiatal Hernia

babybooo828
on 4/25/11 10:30 am
 I was in the ER for back pain and a CT scan was done. I was misdiagnosed with a kidney stone. The CT scan also showed a small hiatal hernia and scoliosis. I have been back to the ER again and was told I have scoliosis and muscle spasms in my back. I went to a chiropractor because nothing was relieving my pain and he thinks I have a pinched nerve. I am going to see my orthopidic doctor on wednesday. Anyway, this post isn't about all of that....

The CT scan report said that the CT scan showed a small hiatal hernia. I had no idea what this was, so I did some research. I have an appointment with my surgeon in the begining of June, so I am going to take the report and scan to him to see if I need to be worried about this. 

Just now, my mom was telling me that I should ask my surgeon about all the hicccups I am having all the time. I just realized that I really do have very server hiccups... they hurt and last for long periods of time. In the past, I did get hiccups a lot, but not this much, and they didn't hurt. I was reading up on the symptoms and notice that I have some of them too... vomiting, problems swallowing bigger pills, breathing difficulty at times, feeling stuff being stuck, difficulty with eating meat (chicken, pork, steak), and belching.

I also have no idea if the hernia is with my pouch or my stomach. I am guessing it would be with my pouch, since that is what my esophogus is connected to. 

I guess my question would be is if anyone has had experience with this after having had their surgery? Any information provided would be of great help!

I'm also kind of wondering if I should put a call into my surgeons office now, or if I should just wait until my appointment in June to bring this up. My parents said waiting until my appoitment would be fine, but my guit is kind of telling me to give him a call. I mean the ER didn't seem concerned about this, since they didn't even mention it to me. But my gut always tells me, when in doubt, call my surgeon. 

whatachief
on 4/25/11 10:39 am
If you have pain I would call the surgeon and not wait until June.

Lady Lithia
on 4/25/11 11:05 am
The hiatal hernia would be the connection between your esophagus and your pouch... there is something called the Nissen Fundoplication (I think) that will help with that.... you should call your surgeon.

It might have been that you had a mild hiatal hernia that wasn't obvious prior to your surgery... did they do an EGD prior to your surgery to have a lookie loo? that is really one of the only ways to see it, and if they didn't look for it they might not have seen it.

If it's only mild, it might not be that big of a deal.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

babybooo828
on 4/25/11 11:08 am
 No, I didn't have one prior to my surgey.

I had an EDG done at 4 weeks out and again at 6 weeks out and nothing was said about it then either. 

I will be calling my surgeon. I just want to make sure this isn't a big problem, and if it is, I want it to be taken care of. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 239 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 271 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 111 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?