Weird Intolerances

lmcpokey17
on 4/26/11 12:48 pm - Kingsport, TN
OK.  So I'm 5 months out now.  Yes, I'm used to it at this point, but really, it's getting old.  I'm a very sensitive dumper.  By very sensitive, I mean very sensitive.  I dump with anything over 4gm of sugar or sugar alcohols (lactose is not included in the sugar sensitivities thank goodness).  1/4 of a slice of toast, be it white or wheat, multi grain, rye, or any other variety of bread will also cause blurry vision, dizziness, sweating, etc.  And lets not even get started on the most fun of all.  Potatoes.  Starches are the devil.  Yes.  Starches.  Mashed, baked, sweet, doesn't matter what kind, how it's fixed, plain jane or dressed up, if I consume more than 2 teaspoonfulls of any type of potato, I can't see or function for 30-45 minutes.  So my curiosity has the best of me.  Is there anyone else out there who is as sensitive as I am?  Just wondering...  Yes, I do realize that it is a good thing, as I am one who prior to surgery was quite fond of the tasty spud.  However, I would like to have the occasional starchy carbohydrate as a side to my protein main course.  Friends, please advise...

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 2:35 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Starchy foods were very much my nemesis for a couple of years;  even whole-grains made my blood sugars surge.

Just make sure you keep up your proteins, and do salads for your good carbs.
Carla M.
on 4/26/11 2:57 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I realize that I'm still relatively early out, but YES!!! I have a VERY low tolerance for sugar, sugar alcohol, fat, carbs, starch, etc. It's a pain in my rear end! Things that you would think would be okay are just not. It's depressing sometimes how limited my food choices are. Granted, I have a finicky pouch that will like something one day and hate it the next as well. So not fun.