Burning/Acid Feeling

Kimanne01
on 4/29/11 6:05 am
I have noticed that when I first drink or eat, especially if I have not done so in a little bit, I have this horrible burning feeling i n my stomach. It passes after a minute or so. But its so uncomfortable.  Is this normal?  Anything I can do to make it go away? I already take Pepcid every morning!

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 6:14 am - SC
I would take something other than Pepcid.  Pepcid is an H2 blocker and for some people with reflux it isn't as effective.  It also requires there to be an abudance of acid in your stomach for it to work well.  We simply don't have that post op.  Try something like Prevacid which is OTC or call your surgeons and see if you can get a script for Nexium or Protonix.  Both are PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) and they stop acid production before it starts. 

Hopefully that makes some sense.  I only know all that from going through every antacid on the market when my daguther suffered from horrible reflux as a baby.  I learned a lot during that first year.  She ended up on Nexium.  Pepcid and Zantac just made her reflux worse.  Once the GI explained how the meds worked, I knew why it was worse.  
Kimanne01
on 4/29/11 6:18 am
Im sorry I mean Prevacid. My brain is apparently not working today!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 6:29 am - SC
Haha mine rarely works anymore.  I blame it on the baby lol.  Maybe increase the Prevacid or try a prescription?  Are you taking it with food?  It works best on an empty stomach about 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating.  If that doesn't help I'd give your doc a call.  I'm on Protonix for mine, but I had HORRIBLE heartburn before I had surgery due to a bad hiatal hernia. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/29/11 6:29 am
what do you drink?  I get that if I drink just plain water...
But nice cup of warm tea - helps a lot. If I drink coffee - it is coffee with milk - almond milk (to cut the acid)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kimanne01
on 4/29/11 6:33 am
Yeah I do take it on an empty stomach with water.  Water is about all I can drink.  Everything else seems way to sweet to me.  I havent tried tea yet. Maybe I will try that!  Thanks!  And I will call my Dr. Maybe he can give me something stronger! I have never had acid reflux before in my life. 
nfarris79
on 4/29/11 10:52 am - Germantown, MD
 I agree w/ the tea idea - I drink either ginger or mint tea first thing in the morning before I take anything else...

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
Recent Topics