Oe Day Post OP with a couple of questions

jennytmitch
on 5/3/11 12:47 pm - NC
Hi guys.  I am officiallyone day post op and ready to join some of you on the losers bench.

First question. They took out my gall bladder due to stones.  One of which was quarter sized.  My doc said it took as long to get the gall bladder out as it took to do the bypass surgery.  He said there was a lot of scar tissue and it was really inflamed and infected.  I have never had any abdomial surgery.  I didn't think I could have scar tissue without previous surgery.  Anyone have this before?

Second question is when I went to do the post op swallow study it showed slow emptying from my esophogus.  Does this mean I may have a higher potential for strictures or is it normal?  I have had about 20 ounces of clear fluids since 11 this morning.  I do have to be sitting up when I am drinking to help empty my esophogus.  Any suggestions or reassurement that this is not a huge deal.

Amber J.
on 5/3/11 12:51 pm - Kirkland, WA
 Unfortunately I don't have any answers about the liquid emptying into your esophagus but I also had my gall bladder removed during my RNY. It was FULL of stones and was incredibly painful. He said it was infected and inflammed but I don't remember any mention of scar tissue. Either way, I feel SO much better since they yanked that sucker out.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about more of your journey!

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Lady Lithia
on 5/3/11 1:00 pm
Gallbladder.....

Each stone has injured your gallbladder, scarring it up, and the ducts up, and I am guessing that is what he was talking about. If it was infected, then you probably just had your life saved. Appendicitis is well known, and a burst appendix is very dangerous.... Gallbladders can get infected and burst too, but that usually is not discussed as risky, it's just usually fatal. Mine was fixing to explode and had to be removed with emergency surgery. You are lucky he was in there and could remove it.

Esophageal Emptying

Stufff (liquid and food) goes from your mouth, to your esophagus, to your pouch, through your stoma, and into your intestines.

If stuff is not emptying INTO your pouch, this means that you have a lot of swelling and probably liquids are difficult..... this has nothing to do with the SToma, which is where the stricture occurs.. But of course keep an eye on it, and if you can't get liquids down without throwing up, call your surgeon at any point.

After you have a sip of liquid, you might find that lying on your LEFT side might help with emptying your pouch and giving you more space for more liquid.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

jennytmitch
on 5/3/11 1:08 pm - NC
Thanks to you both for your replies.

Lady Lithia ~~ I spoke with both the surgeon and his pa today.  His pa said he would go over the pathology with me when I go in two weeks for my follow up.  I guess they send it off to make sure there is nothing cancerous in with it.  Sort of scary.  I do know the surgeon said it took as much or more time to get the gall bladder out.  The scariest part was that I had a little pain, but not enough to make me think it needed immediate attention.

Lady Lithia
on 5/3/11 1:12 pm
I knew I had GB problems for exactly TEN HOURS. Two hours before I knew it had to come out.

One evening at midnight sharp, I suddenly had pain

Took me two hours to decide and get to the ER

They had to wait 8 hours after I arrived for the surgery.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 311 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 329 views