protein bullets?

Frank_B
on 5/3/11 10:51 pm - Woodbridge, NJ
The largest % of Protein in these shots are Collagen protein isolate

I am not thrilled with the quality of the protein it provides for WLS patients. (It's great for bodybuilders, but not for people with altered digestive systems.)

Collagen Protein:
This is the main protein of connective tissue in animals and the most abundant protein in mammals, making up about 25% of the whole-body protein content. When broken down, collagen becomes a gelatin used in many foods such as Jell-O type desserts. It’s also used in cosmetics, pharmacology and photography industry for the production of various products. Collagen and gelatin are poor-quality protein sources since they do not contain all the essential amino acids that the human body requires - they are not complete proteins.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/3/11 11:00 pm - OH
They aren't even good for bodybuilders.  Missing amino acods effect the absorption for everyone. A bodybuilder friend of mine was the first person to clue me in on the problem with the absorption of the protein in them (no one in the WLS knew too much about tehm 4 years ago), and he said that at least now he knew who all the people were who were buying these crappy things (because the serious bodybuilders knew better!).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Frank_B
on 5/3/11 11:04 pm - Woodbridge, NJ
Thanks for the info   
_Donna_
on 5/4/11 2:50 am
I don't understand why my doctor and nutritionist recommend these products if they aren't good for us. I bought a 12 pk of bullets. My NUT even has flintstone vitamins on the list.
Someone explain this to me.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/11 3:03 am - OH
Because either your doctor and nutritionist do not understand how the body absorbs and utilizes protein (your doc should know but "nutritionists" are frequently just "dieticians" and their education focuses on nutrition not the details of nutrient absorbtion within the body) or they have not bothered to really LOOK at the ingredients and the PDCAAS scores of these protein "bullets". 

Flat out ask them if they know what the PDCAAS score is,  and if they REALLY intend to recommend something that is made up of a large amount of protein with a score of ZERO mixed with a small amount of protein with a higher score INSTEAD OF recommending that you stick to whey protein isolate witha  score of 100.  I would almost bet money they either don't know anything about the PDCAAS or will backtrack and tell you to stick with whey protein isolate.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 130 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics