Opinions opinions opinions....

Bkritty
on 5/4/11 10:41 am
As surgery gets closer and closer my lips are getting looser and looser about sharing my plans for weight loss surgery. I started out this journey pretty tight lipped. I really didn't feel it was anyones business any more than any other surgery needs an announcement. I also felt like until it was a definite and I was all approved and scheduled I wasn't going to even entertain opinions of others. I obviously shared my plans with my husband, my mother (who had RNY in 2005) and my therapist...along with a couple of close friends. Other than that its been on the down low. When my surgery was approved last month I decided to let my grandmother in on the plans....knowing full well that within 24 hours everyone within the continental US would know. I figured this was a way to let it out without me going around announcing it...I really didn't want to make it into such a big deal. 99% of my family and friends are supportive of whatever I choose to do whether they agree or not. It feels great to have so much support since I wasn't really sure what people would think. One of my aunts did sent me a facebook message saying she "had heard I was planning to have surgery. It is a major decision and one that you can't undo so be sure you really want to go down this road". Today I shared very casually with my stepdaughter's grandmother that I was having weight loss surgery. We share custody with her as a way to keep my stepdaughter connected to that side of her family since her mom is absent. I told her the date just as though I was giving her a heads up to a scheduling need for visitation. She says "oh which one are you having" I say RNY...she says "oh it is not going to be anything like you think its going to be" You are going to need a major recovery time and it is no picnic. You are going to be so surprised how different it is" SERIOUSLY PEOPLE? Come on! First of all I am a Nursing student!!! I have cared for gastric bypass patients and lap band patients before! I have studied far more about weight loss surgery than the average joe and even if I hadn't...why do either of these woman assume I am so ignorant that I wouldn't have looked into it thoroughly? UGH! I really didn't give them much room for their opinions and that seemed to have shut each of them up. Honestly I am quite pleased with the majority of reactions I have had so I am not getting down about it but geez!  

Michellem8991
on 5/4/11 11:47 am - CT
Boy everyone has something to say. I always get well you should do this or eat that. I tell people I have a dr supervising me and a nutritionist so thank you I'll listen to them. and I

Ramona D.
on 5/4/11 11:50 am - meriden, CT
  I kinda went thru a little of what you are talking about...99.9 % of People were supportive...Believe it or not, the ones who were not supportive, were the ones who needed the Surgery themselves.  I pretty much summed it up to Jealousy, and them wanting to keep me in the "Fat Club". 
  Keep your head up, because you are about to do something that you will be so proud of yourself for doing.  Loosing weight is not an easy thing, and this little procedure, gives you just enough of a push, that it makes it more obtainable for us to looses the weight.
  I wish you the very best on your Journey!
skabets112
on 5/4/11 3:53 pm
this is exactly why I didn't share until AFTER I had it. I'm getting more and more loose lipped now about my surgery, that was almost 4 months ago. I shared with a few close friends and my and hubby's immediate families, maybe a total of 10 people. I had 3 people try to say something to talk me out of it. Two of them were, "have you tried this diet? it works you know." and the other was, "my uncle almost died from it, and nwo he's got 100% + 50 of his weight back on. Pretty glad I didn't share with a higher number of people!

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 370 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 337 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 140 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 212 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 122 views