8 months out...feeling great but.............................

shilarose
on 5/8/11 4:01 am - Kingston, PA
Hey all...im about 8 months out of surgery...I have lost 130 pounds, I feel great....Recently I have been eating sweets (chocolate), and I even tried a piece of birthday cake....I got mad because these things do NOT make me sick...(wish they did) I am worried I will fall into old habits.  Is it really bad to eat these things once in a while?  Does anyone else find that sugar really does not both them?  I find it odd that I can eat chocolate and cake but a sandwich or anything with bread makes me sick.!?  ugh Did anyone notice cravings for sweets around the 8 month mark???
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/11 4:16 am - Santa Cruz, CA
It is easy to slip back into the old habits; I'd recommend saving the dark chocolate for special treats and not keeping it in the house. "A" piece of chocolate cake~same thing. I, myself, don't particularly care for sweets anymore, but a box of crackers will seduce me in a second. sigh.
birthdaygirl
on 5/8/11 4:25 am - Lithonia, GA
Before RNY I was more of a meat eater and even though I liked candy and dessert I would rather have a second "Big Mac"

Post-op I started to crave more carbs and sweets and being 2.5 years out it is bad.......really when it is that time of the month so you have to allow yourself a little sweets if you don't dump  (I am not a dumper) and your weight loss is amazing!

hormones can play a huge role in sweet cravings after a huge loss bcause of all the extra hormones being dumpped into our fat cells as we dispose of it...that is what I as told and what I experience....also I have developed insomnia and acne

but on the good side I am 140 pounds down, healthy and a size 4-8 depending on the cut and designer! so I will have my sweets every now and then...................moe now than then...hehehe!

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
Suite1
on 5/8/11 4:26 am - Dayton, OH
I'm with ya.  Sugar doesn't bother me either and now that I've reintroduced it, I want it all the time.   Granted I don't eat it all the time, but I do think about it a lot.  Time to go cold turkey again and get it out of my system.   I'm still losing so it's not impeding my progress, but I really don't feel great after eating it.   I don't get sick or anything, but just feel the toxins in my system.  Evil, evil sugar, it is soooo addicting.

HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

immafatgirl
on 5/8/11 5:02 am - KY
i have cleaned the sugar out of my cabinets and i dont want it brought in. i crave it . but i believe its like smoking. you have one , you want more. just be careful. id eat sugar free chocolate . or when it comes to cake , make it only special occasions. id eat a slither of a slither .lol
Heidi M.
on 5/8/11 5:22 am - Fridley, MN
In my opinion, I would try & stop taking in sugar. I love chocolate but I feel that would be a trigger for me & at some point I wouldn't be able to stop. I'm just about 6 months out & I won't even buy chocolate, nope - not going to do it because I don't think I could stop at one. I don't even know if I would get sick on it, because I've never tried. Now last night, we were at the store & all of these sugary treats were calling my name (lol) but I said no. I thought a better choice would be no sugar added ice cream. I just have 1/4 cup of it & it satisfied me completely. I wish you luck!

Heidi

cajungirl
on 5/8/11 10:58 am
I have a high tolerance for sweets unfortunately.  Try your best to stay away from the as long as possible as you are still in the losing stage.

I didn't try anything sweet until I reached goal weight and found out I don't dump (like most people) but I can get sick in the stomach if I push the issue.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Ladytazz
on 5/8/11 5:36 pm
I think the key is if you can eat a very small amount and be satisfied and not want/crave more.  If it's no big deal then don't worry about it.  It's all about self honesty.  I avoid all refined sugar at all costs because I know from past history that I cannot do it in moderation and if I don't have any I don't want any.  However, I can take a bite every now and then of potatoes and not have a problem.  Today I went out to eat twice for Mother's day and both times my meals came with potatoes.  I had a bite each time and that was it.  I don't buy them or make them at home but if I am out and it comes with my meal I might take a bite.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

shilarose
on 5/8/11 9:27 pm - Kingston, PA
Thanks everyone...I am back on track beginning today...I think I fell victim to all the sweets being around from Easter ...Back to my regular routine!
snguyen17
on 5/9/11 5:19 am
I'm with LadyTazz...I am almost 5 months out...and realized I can eat everything that I did before WLS (even my surgeon's office is very realistic about this...they state this in their documentation).  It's about using your 'tool'.  I crave sweets, carbs, etc.  I allow myself a few bites, and I'm done with it.  Yesterday, I had fried rice twice because of Mother's Day.  A full rice bowl of it!  But I realized I did bad, and today is a new day.  Starting over, and once again, using my tool.  I'd be fooling myself if I said I would never eat sugar or carbs again.  But for me, if I don't allow myself to have it, I crave it more!  I think it's different for everyone...some people say eating one bite would trigger them to eat more.  I do try to consistently measure my food, and don't eat until I am stuffed! 

So I think you need to just try to do what works for you...

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 297 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 58 views