2 Weeks Post Op

diobrien
on 5/9/11 2:19 am - CA
Hi All,

Well it's just been over two weeks since I had my RNY on 4/22.  There's been lots of challenges.  Surgery took longer than expected, a whopping 4.5 hours due to complications.  Went home after two nights in the hospital and was admitted back in to the hospital four 4 days after severe abdominal pain.  Apparently, they discovered blood clots in my intestines and abdomen.  I am now back out and on my road to recovery.  Even though I now have to take blood thinner injections for at least six months, I believe, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  To date, I have lost 23 lbs.
Margo2011
on 5/9/11 2:26 am - PA
Hello Diobrien!

Grats on your surgery however I'm sorry to hear about the complications. Sounds like you are doing great.  Grats on the 23 lbs. I had my RNY on 4/27 and have lost 19 lbs. I didn't think that was very much but I see its about average.  Welcome and we can keep track together. There are a few of us that have had our RNY's in April.

diobrien
on 5/9/11 2:50 am - CA
Thanks Margo!

The 23 lbs I lost was during the first week, I've platoed since, but I was also told that was normal too.  It's been quite a journey and am looking forward to what's ahead.  I look forward to sharing our losses together.

Definately feel better than I have in years, so no regrets!

Tonya0531
on 5/9/11 3:50 am - Lake, MS
Glad you are doing better!  Had my surgery a few days after you.  It's alot tougher than I imagined.  I underestimated how tough it would be mentally and emotionally.  Congrats on the weight loss.  Sure is nice to see that scale go down!
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
keepitoff91
on 5/9/11 5:47 am
I was a few days before you.  I am glad you're better.  How scary with the blood clots!!!

I have only been doing so-so.  Today is the first day I put on mascara since surgery.  Seems like a little thing, but I just haven't felt like myself yet.  I was supposed to go back to work on Wednesday, but told them I needed a few more weeks.

So far I dumped once on some soup I had last week.  Not fun.

I got some ground turkey "stuck" on Friday and had to wait about 2 hours before I yacked it up.  Not fun.

I still have some abdominal pain, and feel swollen.

I'm not trying to be too negative, I was just suprised how long it has taken me to get on my feet.  There is sooo much to learn!!!

diobrien
on 5/9/11 6:45 am - CA
Hi there,

I'm sure you're doing fine and keep your chin up.  I think we all have experienced similiar issues.  I haven't had any dumping issues and hope I don't.  I understand your frustrations and I think it's ok for us to feel the way you are every now and than, but things will get better I'm sure!

I ended up going back to work today; second guessing that.  It's been a very hard day today.

Hang in there!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 52 views