Hey Vitamin Gurus...Magnesium Questions

DeeNadj
on 5/14/11 12:34 pm - Malmstrom AFB, MT
Okay, so I saw my PCM this past week for a rash, and she had just last seen me in March, right before my surgery. So naturally we got to talking about my RNY, and if I noticed any negative changes. I mentioned insomnia, and needing to use Ambien a little more frequently than I would like. She suggested that I look for foods that are rich in magnesium, and there are a few that I like. But she suggested that I take a magnesium supplement in the meantime.

Are there any "rules" that I need to follow with magnesium? Like how with some vitamins you can't take them together or they cancel each other out? I take two One A Days for women, 2 B complex, and chew 2 Caltrates, (one set in the morning, and one in the evening) and now the magnesium.

Thanks!
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
Sharyn S.
on 5/14/11 12:50 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Are there any "rules" that I need to follow with magnesium?

Nope.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

DeeNadj
on 5/14/11 12:55 pm - Malmstrom AFB, MT

Should I do two magnesiums a day (with the others) or just one per day?

Thanks!

Dee
Sharyn S.
on 5/14/11 1:21 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Did she check your levels???  If your levels are within normal limits, you really shouldn't take a supplement.  Magnesium plays a huge role in cardiac functioning and the heart dislikes too much just as much as it dislikes too little.

What about taking some melatonin???

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

fatfreemama
on 5/14/11 2:01 pm - San Jose, CA
You really should have your magnesium checked before you add supplements. Magnesium aids in the absorption of Vitamin C, so if your magnesium is low, chances are you are not absorbing your Vitamin C. To absorb magnesium, you need magnesium Citrate. Amount depends on your labs. I also take magnesium oxide every other day which keeps me regular, if you know what I mean. I've been able to completely give up the Miralax.

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Ladytazz
on 5/14/11 2:26 pm
Caltrate is calcium carbonate.  We can't do much with that.  We need to make sure to get calcium citrate for absorb ability.
I take magnesium every day to help my constipation.  I use magnesium oxide.  I take it with my calcium, which also has magnesium.  It think it is magnesium citrate in that.  To tell you the truth it doesn't seem to affect my sleeping.  I still have to take Ambien.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/14/11 10:23 pm
I take magnesium daily. Not only that helps me with calcium absorption, but keeps me regular every day and helps me sleep.  I use mag oxide capsules and take 400-1200 per day in addition what is in my multi.  I take 500 mg calcium and 400mg (or more)  or magnesium just before bed.  Sleep like a baby.  I have to make sure that I do not take that too early because it relaxes me so much that after I take it - I have to go to sleep with 30 - 60... or I may fall asleep on a sofa... lol..
I like capsules, since they will dissolve faster in my system and reach all my intestines..
BTW: as another person posted - we have a better chance of absorbing calcium when you take calcium citrate.  The carbonate - is not so good.  And we need 1500-2000 mg of calcium per day, with 500-600 mg dosages (we can't absorb more that that at one time) .

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rbb825
on 5/16/11 9:02 pm - Suffern, NY
Have you ever tried Tylenol PM?  It is tylenol with benedryl and I have heard great things about it with no side effects of ambien.  I took ambien many years ago and got into 2 car accidents from falling asleep at the wheel the next day - not a good drug to take.  I took it in the hospital after my surgery when I couldn't sleep but when I got home I stopped it.

DeeNadj
on 5/17/11 1:24 am, edited 5/17/11 1:25 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
Hi Hala (and everybody else)...
Just wanted to update you on the changes I've made since I got your suggestions. THANK YOU ALL, by the way. I appreciate the information from the "vets"! Okay, so first off, I take the Caltrate because that's specifically named in my NUTs vitamin list. I take the one that's 600mg CA with 200IU Vitamin D.

Second, and I'm saving the best for last - I went straight out and got a 250 mg magnesium supplement since that's listed on the NUTs vitamin list too, but I hadn't been taking it before. I take it three times a day now, and it seems to be solving another problem I posted about yesterday (not so much constipation as simply not going - I noticed from my notes that I only have BMs on Mondays). So today is Day 2 with a GOOD bowel movement, so I'm encouraged. I'm in 10day stall, and I'm hoping that's going to help.

RBB-  I think I'm allergic to SOMETHING in "PM" medications and OTC sleep aids. When i take those, my arms get something like restless leg syndrome. They burn and tingle, and shake very badly, and I end up awake all night - despite the sleep aid. So I can't take OTC sleep aids, and I still have mild anxiety issues, so Ambien helps me to just "shut my brain off" and go to sleep. Otherwise I'm up all night - with three small children, this is not a good thing. LOL You really feel it the next day? I take an Ambien at 930pm, and wake up at 630-7am, completely fine. Not sleepy or tired the next day at all. Are you making sure you take it early enough to get 8 SOLID hours of sleep?
Dee
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 341 views