Are kidney stones a common side effect?

Savage_Beast
on 5/15/11 12:48 pm
I am 2 mos. post-op and last night I had my first experience with kidney stones. I thought I was going to die! If I hadn't been alone, I would have had someone take me to the ER.

I had 3 episodes of "vomiting" although it was essentially dry heaves for a long time as nothing came up which I understand is normal (from reading other posters). Now I'm starting to feel that nasty pain in my lower back and side again and I'm terrified it's another stone.

Is this a common occurence/side effect of RNY? How did others handle this?

Thanks

Dave Chambers
on 5/15/11 1:00 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I know a lot of post ops from the 3 support groups I have attended for almost 5 years.  I personally only know one person who had kidney stones, but she had these issues prior to her RNY also. She was hospitalized twice for stones within the first 8 months post op.  So, I don't think it's that common.  I had a pacemaker implanted about 18 months post op. I can't say it's due to RNY, just my personal low bp issue. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Shelby Shrunk
on 5/15/11 1:17 pm - Sarnia, Canada
most of told me no, i however, had one of the worst nights of my life a few months ago cause of kidney stones! it was terrible but i have been lucky enough to have not had them again since!

Lady Lithia
on 5/15/11 1:27 pm
If you consume calcium carbonate instead of calcium citrate, yes, you can easily get kidney stones. The combination of a protein forward diet WITH calcium carbonate is a recipe for stones.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/11 1:28 pm - OH
I don't know how common it is, but some people do have trouble with kidney stones during the first year after RNY.  There are a couple of things that may contribute to it, but not drinking enough in the first couple of months post-op seems to be the most common.  Also, if you are taking calcium carbonate instead of calcium citrate as your calcium supplement, that could also be contributing to it as well.

The best thing you can do is increase your fluid intake.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Savage_Beast
on 5/15/11 1:42 pm
Thanks all. I only take Citrical Calcium citrate petites but I'm struggling with my water intake. I guess I will redouble my efforts!
StillHopefulinAZ
on 5/15/11 2:21 pm
I just got out of the hospital last night from having a kidney stone.  If finally passed this afternoon.  I think some people are just more prone to them than others.  I had one when I was pregnant as well.  I went to the ER due to the pain and ended up having an infection that caused my white blood cell count to go up.  I would have your primary care run some blood work to make sure it is nothing more.  Good luck and I hope it passes soon!
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

Lady Lithia
on 5/15/11 2:29 pm
I think that people are prone to them and others aren't is a valid thought also.

I haven't had any kidney stones, and nobody in my extended family has ever had them.... perhaps not inclined to get them genetically

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

LORI S.
on 5/16/11 12:08 pm
Has your gall bladder been ruled out? I had pain in my back and side and ended having to have my gall bladder removed almost 2 weeks ago.
rbb825
on 5/16/11 6:02 pm - Suffern, NY
Are you taking Actigall or Urisol?  After WLS, rapid weight loss can cause Gallbladder problems and the symptoms you are talking about - terrible nausea with vomitting, lower back pain and side pain can all be due to your gallbladder.  You might want to ask your doctor for an ultrasound of your gallbladder and a HIDA scan to check your gallbladder out.

As far as kidney stones go, they don't really have anything to do with WLS surgery unless you are taking the wrong calcium which you say you aren't;  Also make sure you are drinking alot of water and avoid caffeine

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 229 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics