Surgery Tomorrow!! Wish me luck!!

evacheryl1959
on 5/16/11 9:52 am - OH
I can't believe it is finally here and going to happen.  I am trying not to be nervous and anxious about surgery.  I have kept busy all day to try to keep my mind off it.  I am excited... don't get me wrong.  I just worry about the unknown.  Please keep you in your prayers and I will keep you posted.
Cheryl Allan
on 5/16/11 9:56 am - Canada
Good Luck and try not to worry is not as bad as you think.....see you tomorrow on the loosers bench
Cheryl Allan

HW...355......SW....322...CW 281

Britski5
on 5/16/11 10:03 am - IL
 I too am having surgery tomorrow! I am very nervous myself and the sooner it gets the worse it is getting! I am excited though! We will both do great!! This is my first time have any type of surgery!
doty_guy
on 5/16/11 10:10 am
 I think everyone on here can relate. I know I was anxious for a change and nervous about the surgery.  Go over you list of everything you are going to need for your stay in the hospital and make sure everything is packed. Then do something that you enjoy, walk, read, ....... whatever, but try not to dwell.
 I will say a little prayer for ya. Good Luck! See ya on the losers bench.

Guy

HW-352                        SW-326                        GW-160                       CW-221
1MO- 298                     4MO-243                       7MO-                          10MO-  
2MO- 280                     5MO-224                       8MO-                           11MO-
3MO- 257                     6MO-221                       9MO-                              1YR- 
MORBID           SEVERE           OBESE           OVERWEIGHT           NORMAL                       
Anabella
on 5/16/11 10:14 am - Fresno, CA
 Best of luck! 
evacheryl1959
on 5/16/11 10:30 am - OH
 Thanks everyone... it is nice to have this kind of support.
Brit... we will do great!  It is my first time to have surgery also.  It is that unknown that gets you.  But when you are on this blog, you see everyone goes through it and does well and so will we.  Prayers go out to you tomorrow. 
Cheryl
Kathy M.
on 5/16/11 11:03 am - summershade, KY
Good luck you will do fine can't wait until my turn

Kathy M

oldbooknewlook
on 5/16/11 12:16 pm - Yarmouth, ME
Good luck!    Everything will go great!
~Amy   165 lbs down!  My journey on YouTube: www.youtube.com/oldbooknewlook

virvin
on 5/16/11 2:45 pm - CO
You both will be awesome!!  Focus on the positive.  Everyone at the hospital knows their role.  Let them do theirs and you do yours....get the surgery and get better.    Ok, no bouncing for a while.  Hahah!  I will keep you both in my prayers.

I have had 10 surgeries (and I'm only 41).  So, maybe I can help.  You will go to the hospital and check in.  As you patiently wait for them to take you back, you will probably find yourself busy helping those that have come with you.  They are nervous, too.  Then, you will go back and they will most likely have you change into one of those lovely gowns.  At least most of them are now almost wrap arounds so you don't have to worry about your...uh hum...backside hanging out.  So, after that you will go back to your room (if they let you bring someone back with you, that's awesome!) or cubbyhole.  They will come in and confirm all your information and verify what type of surgery you are having, your name, DOB, etc.  I always thought this was silly but now I understand why.  While they are doing all that, they will most likely hook you up to a blood pressure cuff and a pulse oximeter.  Hopefully you've had that before, but if not, don't worry...those don't hurt at all.  I find it fun to play with my blood pressure and my oxygen level while I'm hooked up.  Gives me something to do and think about.  Then they will probably hook you up to an IV and start a saline solution.  They have to keep you hydrated.  The best thing I can say to help with the IV is trust the phlebotomist and relax.  They do this all the time.  Not to mention, that's where they give you the happy juice (some call it a ****tail).  It helps you relax.  Before they do that, most likely your doctor will come in as well as the anesthesiologist.  They will come in to confirm you are you (I don't think I could pay anyone to have this surgery for me...besides, then it wouldn't do me any good).  Then, before you know it, they will be wheeling you back to the operating room.  Most people don't remember that part, but I've been there plenty.  It's very white, very sterile, lots of stainless steel, and usually cold.  Don't hesitate to ask for a blanket if you need it.  They want you to be comfortable. 

Well, after that, I can't help much as all but one surgery I was completely out.  The one that I was sortof awake for, there is the anesthesiologist standing/sitting by your head the whole time monitoring your vitals (blood pressure/O2 levels, heart rate, etc).  They work hand-in-hand with your surgeon.  Keeping them apprised of your status all the time.  Mine told me that my family and friends would know if I ever started drugs...I'm a talker (can you tell by the email?).  LOL.

Ok, so after all that...you will wake up in recovery.  Once again, most people don't remember this part. It's like a halfway room.  They keep you there for a couple of hours to let you wake up and shake off the anesthesia.  They also watch your vitals carefully.  It is very important that if you need anything, you let them know.  Don't wait.  If you feel nauseous, cold, hot, whatever...let the nurses knows.  That's what they are there for.  Once they feel you are stable enough to move, they will move you up to your room.  Your family/friends will usually be told which room and will meet you up there.  Sometimes they will let someone come to the recovery room just to make sure you really are okay.  :)  Then it's off to your room.  You will meet your floor nurse and the nurse's aide.  They are there for you...again, ask them if you need anything. 

Pretty much the first few hours in your room you will spend sleeping.  Don't worry about it and don't think you have to entertain your "guests".  Now your main goal is to take care of you.

Well, that's probably more than you wanted to know.  I just wish I had someone to tell me what to expect when I had my first surgery.  After having 10 of them, I'm a pro now.  ;)  I am not making light of your concerns and/or fears.  They are real.  I figured if you KNOW what to expect, it's a little less scarey. 

I can't wait to hear how your surgery goes.  I have mine in 38 days.

Hugs and prayers!
PYAMMA
on 5/17/11 1:36 pm - NC
Good luck with your surgery, you'll be fine. I had mine 5/10, was'nt as bad as I thought it would be, just a little sore, but other than that I only take pain meds at nite. Don't worry, prayers are coming your way!!

Most Active
Recent Topics