Sleep issues

Jodi H.
on 5/19/11 2:35 am - Apache Junction, AZ
Ok...I'm 12 days away & I'm finding that this surgery has consumed my mind so much that I'm having problems sleeping!  I feel so excited (or anxious??) that I'm having a difficult time shutting my mind down at night!  Has or is anyone else thats really close to their surgery date having this same issue??

Jodi ** HW: 240 / CW: 221 / GW: 135
Solon
on 5/19/11 3:12 am - Arkadelphia, AR
Nerves are always going to be a big player in the game of any surgery... but with that being said;  Sleeping is very important for your body to get ready for surgery and afterwards as well. 

I would talk to your PCP or Surgeon and see what they can do to help you make sure your body is getting the rest you need (Ambien temporarily? Or a possible nerve medication?) 

Also... Take your mind off of it by doing other things... go for a walk when your anxious... or read a book... play with kids / pets / friends as soon as you start thinking about surgery divert your mind elsewhere.  If you weren't sure about it you wouldn't be doing the surgery in the first place... no point in constantly going over it in your head once you're sufficiently educated and dedicated in my opinion!
~ Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.        
ahmerzrealm
on 5/19/11 3:41 am - Naperville, IL
i have been waking up at 3am every since the surgery. I know other forum members who's sleep patterns were changed after the surgery.
I would definitely see if you can get some kind of mild relaxant to help you sleep. Your body and mind are going to go through a lot more trauma in the coming days and its critical that you are able to sleep. It will be very important to the healing process.