gastro-intestinal bleeding

ssciolino
on 5/18/11 8:10 am - Webster, NY
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with GI bleeding after gastric bypass surgery?  I have had 2 episodes of black stools and a severe drop in iron levels. (RNY June 2008)  It resolved on its own but a source was never found.  Has anyone had problems with the remnant stomach?  thanks..
  "Life is a succession of lessons which much be lived to be understood"  Helen Keller      
Carla M.
on 5/18/11 8:53 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Haven't had any bleeding...thank goodness! I have had problems with my old remnant stomach, new pouch, and intestines. I have ulcers, very raw areas in both new and old stomach, ulcers in colon, lots of pain on a daily basis that can only be controlled through pain medicine at this point. I had problems with an overproduction of bile and liver enzymes being through the roof before surgery that they thought would be fixed with this surgery. Unfortunately, now I just have more problems because of it and they can't be treated right now. Trying to figure out the best possible option.
ssciolino
on 5/18/11 9:41 am - Webster, NY
Hello, did the docs ever have to access the old remnant stomach?  I am having an UGI tomorrow and that will let them see the intestine leading from the pouch but not the part coming from the remnant.  I have had a CATT scan, gastrscospy, red cell tag study and angiogram.  No ulcers in the areas that can be visualized...never had any pain, only some cramping.  thanks.
  "Life is a succession of lessons which much be lived to be understood"  Helen Keller      
Carla M.
on 5/18/11 12:36 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Colonoscopy let them see a lot, but they can't actually get into the old stomach. They are judging by my description that I have ulcers in the old stomach. I also have ulcers in my esophagus and pouch. Prilosec, Carafate, Nexium, Alternagel, Gaviscon....nothing works. I take Tramadol for the pain and have another colonoscopy scheduled to see why I have more cramping in lower right abdomen. Noone has done a CATscan yet, but I might see if they will. Someetimes the pain is WAY more than I want to have to handle. Laying in the fetal position all day isn't my idea of fun.

So they can't figure out where the bleeding is coming from? Yikes!
I hope they can figure out something for you soon. It seems like some of us just have more problems now than before.