glucose tolerance test

melissa22886
on 5/19/11 9:22 pm
for those of you who are/were diabetic...what kind of test did you do to see if you were still a diabetic after surgery? i know pre op my PCP had done a glucose tolerance test on me when i switched over to him as a new primary doctor so he ran all kinds of tests. my glucose tolerance test showed i was borderline diabetic and my 1st and 3rd hour bloodwork everything was ok but my 2nd hour my levels were high so he said it was intermittent hypoglycemia? anyway im just curious now how you were tested since obviously the glucose tolerance test wouldn't work having to drink that entire sugary bottle of liquid

keepitoff91
on 5/19/11 9:42 pm
I would guess an A1C would be a good start.  Have you had your levels pulled since surgery?

ahmerzrealm
on 5/19/11 10:10 pm - Naperville, IL
I am assuming you have a blood glucose monitoring machine. After the surgery I would test myself and take my meds according to the result. In 3 weeks i stopped taking all diabetes meds.

Buy yeah, to know if your are still diabetic , you would need an A1C
psx chelly
on 5/20/11 12:43 am

Before surgery, I was borderline (in a pre diabetes stage, main reason I got RNY).  I did the glucose tolerance test(the drinking sugar water all morning in intervals for several hours) and I also did an A1C.
I was told to take Metformin 4 times a day, but I never took it !! (im stubborn and I didn't want to become dependent on it)  I simply cut out carbs, and took cinimon extract pills from Vitamin Shoppe to control it.

My insulin resistance is from PCOS.  I have a monitor that I bought, and I test myself when I wake up, and two hours after I eat.  It seems to be settling down and getting normal, however since my PCOS is never going away, I am not sure what the future holds for my insulin resistance.

monkmoses
on 5/20/11 1:11 am, edited 5/20/11 1:11 am - Valyermo, CA
 Both my surgeon and my endocrinologist told me that after RNY our bodies could not handle the glucose tolerance test......that we would dump from it and the results would not be accurate on out post RNY system.

A1c and daily testing are the best ways to keep control of blood sugar issues as far as I am concerned.

Also remember.....once a diabetic.....always a diabetic.......it may go into remission but there is no such thing as a cure.  
unewillow
on 5/20/11 4:09 am - CT
I have asked about GTTs for pregnancy and was told by the OBs that I work with that they would do an A1C and have someone do postprandial BG testing.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/20/11 9:06 am - Windsor, Canada
Recording what you eat, what your blood sugars are at the 1 hr, 1.5 hour, 2 hours after your eat is enough to make the diagnosis. Avoid the glucose test. I passed out during mine.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics