Question about iron

AKSteveB
on 5/22/11 8:26 am - Anchorage, AK
Just did my 3 month checkup/labs.  Everything looks great except for a low level of ferritin.  (Stored Iron).   I've been taking a one a day chewable iron tablet from Bariatric Advantage, and just upped it to twice per day.  Is there anyting else I should be doing?

poet_kelly
on 5/22/11 9:14 am - OH
Take it with vitamin C to aid absorption.  The ratio is 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AKSteveB
on 5/22/11 2:57 pm - Anchorage, AK
K.  Looks like the supplement actually has vitamin C, though not quite at that quantity.  A single chewable is 60mg/Iron, 250mg Vitamin C

poet_kelly
on 5/22/11 2:58 pm - OH
Well, that's only about half the C you need.  I'd take another 200 of C with that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Susank505
on 5/23/11 2:16 am - Mt. Pleasant, MI
I have that same question although neither doctor office told me it was low.  My ferritinis at 57 down from 112 as of a couple of months ago.

I take the Celebrate Iron plus C chewable which was halved because I was in menopause but now am taking a whole chewable after seeing the labs.  So its 30mg of iron and 60mg of C.  I can get it 60mg of iron but still 60 of vitamin C.  sounds like I need to take much more vitamin C theN?

My B12 is also 554 and I take 2500 daily.  So I need to take much more then?

Everything else seems to be fine.  Ideas Kelly?
~Susan~    HT 5'6"
HW 278 / PRE-OP 270 / SW 260 / CW 197/ GW 150

WOOHOOO!!!!  I AM 60.8% TO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!!!!
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Ghandi

Most Active
Recent Topics