fruit smoothies

melissa22886
on 5/23/11 9:29 am
I have been craving fruit and I'm allowed fruits now. But I know fruits are high in sugar so I'm not sure which fruits are best for me. I have kiwis, strawberries, and blueberries. I wanted to mix 2 strawberries, a piece of kiwi, and some blueberries with some ice and skim milk for a small smoothie. Would that be something that would be OK to have?

Traci Burgess
on 5/23/11 9:41 am - Anchorage, AK
That should be fine.  Sugar from fruit is different then added sugar in foods.  The best thing to do is make a little and try some.  I have fruit smoothies all the time and have never had a problem with them.  I use a cup or so of fruit and a scoop of vanilla protein powder and cover it with soy milk and blend.  They sure are a nice change from regular protein drinks.

Good luck.

Traci
melissa22886
on 5/23/11 9:43 am
thanks!

MM_Boston
on 5/23/11 9:46 am
My nut told me to always have some protein with my fruit to balance it out. When I make a fruit smoothie I like to add a little greek yogurt and/or vanille protein powder for that extra protein kick.

If you're eating solid fruits, my latest fave is to mix 1 tbsp of sf vanilla pudding powder with 1 cup of plain 0% greek yogurt (you can add more or less pudding powder to taste). I keep the mixture on hand in the fridge and add a dollup on top of fresh berries or sliced kiwi. It's yummy!

CarolineM
on 5/23/11 9:51 am
 Maybe try one kind of fruit at a time, so you'll know what you're sensitive to if you do have a reaction. So far, the only fruits that have been less than great for me are watermelon and pineapple. 

I agree that upping the protein with yogurt or protein powder in the smoothie would be a good idea.

Caroline
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

cgnnala
on 5/23/11 10:53 am
Just got back from a 4 mile walk and read your post as I was enjoying my grape juice smoothie. I use 4 ozs of juice or fresh fruit if I have it, a scoop of unjury unflavored protein and a couple of Equals with ice to blend. Works great and tastes wonderful. Yes I know the juice has more sugar than the fruit but after burning over 300 calories on that walk I needed the carb boost back. Really is good. I do the same thing with strawberries, blueberries, and even a banana so far. Blend with ice and water or a bit of soy milk.
If you havent invested in a personal belnder yet for smoothies check out Amazon. I got a great one for $19.99 that came with 6-8 containers with two chop heads. Just fill them top them turn them upside down and blend. Makes life so easy. Take care and good luck.

Referral date: December 9, 2010                   First appointment: January 17, 2011
Approved for surgery: February 23, 2011     Surgery date: March 14, 2011

Onederland: May 9, 2011  
                             Diabetes-GONE, HBP-GONE (no meds since 3/13)
moonface
on 5/23/11 12:41 pm - CA
 Every morning I make a smoothie.  I take 1/4 nonfat milk, 1 cup of Fage Greek 0% yogurt, and 3 frozen strawberries, and a tiny bit, less than 1/4 cup of frozen Trader Joe's pineapple.  And 1 equal with 3 ice cubes.  Blend in my magic bullet.  And there you have 25 grams of deliciousness & protein.  Enjoy!
Most Active
Recent Topics