need motivation

melissa22886
on 5/22/11 8:33 am
before surgery i went to the gym 3x a week and i had a personal trainer. i paid 200$ a month for the trainer and 19.99 a month for the gym. i no longer will go to that gym due to it being extremely dirty and i just don't like the atmosphere. for the 1 month i couldn't go to the gym all i wanted to do WAS go to the gym! the only other gym i can go to is $40.00 a month and offers much more then the other gym i went to, like zumba, cardio kick boxing and other things. my problem is i just have no motivation after work. i work 8 to 5:30 or 8 to 6 some days, and after work i dread driving all the way home to change, then drive 8.5 miles to the gym at night for an hour. i did buy a treadmill for $100.00 off craigslist but it doesn't work too well and i have a bad knee and for some reason that one hurts my knee i guess the belt isn't as smooth as the ones at the gym were. but i KNOW i need to work out in order to help get this weight off and probably will help with my stalls(I hope). So what motivated you to get to the gym after surgery? i know once I make it a routine again I will be fine. Is there anyone who didn't go to the gym after surgery but did something else to work out? I do have an exercise ball but is that enough?

rbednarski
on 5/22/11 8:47 am
RNY on 04/23/10 with
Maybe get a better treadmill?  You were paying $220 a month to your trainer and gym.  For that kind of money you can get a pretty nice treadmill and have it paid off in less than a year.

I have the Sole F-80 and it is excellent. 

www.soletreadmills.com/Folding-Treadmills

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

MM_Boston
on 5/22/11 9:06 am
I had the same problem when I first returned to work. I vowed that I wouldn't put in extra long days and would put myself first. It took me a good month after returning to work to actually follow through on that. At first I fell right back into the long days. By the time I got home I had no desire to get changed and go to the gym...plus still get dinner ready for myself...do I eat before the gym or after? Ugh! Finally I had a talk with my boss and told her that I had to make myself my number 1 priority and that I wouldn't be putting in the hours that I used to. My schedule at work is pretty flexible, so some days I wor****il 4, bring my gym clothes and change at the gym (it works better for me because once I'm home I'll find a million other things that "have" to be done before I go to the gym...and then I'll end up not going.) Other days, I go bright and early before work and start and leave work a little later in the day. And I never thought I'd say this, but on many days I look forward to the gym. Go figure!!  And you're absolutely right....Once you make a routine that works for you, you'll be fine. I think the key is making you your number one priority and finding out what works for you through trial and error. Best of luck...you'll be fabulous!!!

immafatgirl
on 5/22/11 11:45 am - KY
gey you some good kick ass videos. like billy blanks bootcamp. slim in 6 really works. i personally love richard simmons. there are dance videos . large variety and u can do them in your living room..
Kathy M.
on 5/22/11 12:23 pm - summershade, KY
GET you a wii and work out games

Kathy M

seattledeb
on 5/22/11 4:54 pm
I hear excuses. It's your recovery and your life. You can make time for exercise or you can't. You can put yourself first or not.
I don't like gyms. I don't want to wear special clotthes and pay money to a gym. I walk, ride my bike, swim..I move. You can too. Every day.
Take care,
Deb T

DebsGiz
on 5/22/11 8:26 pm - FL

I'm thinking great motivation to get you to the gym might be to take out some pre-op pictures and have a serious talk with yourself.

I also do not think you have to go to the gym.  In fact, I HATE the gym.  I have WII, walking tapes, exercise tapes, various pieces of exercise equipment,  five dogs and and a pool.  I can always find some form of exercise right here at home, so I am one who does not think a gym is necessary. 

If you wanted to go to this other gym, would it be possible for you to change into your workout clothes at work and leave straight from work to the gym?

jillbhappy
on 5/23/11 4:54 am - Oceanside, CA
WETHER I AM GOING TO THE GYM OR A BIKE RIDE OR A WALK IF I SIT DOWN WHEN I GET HOME FORGET IT!!! I RUSH IN, CHANGE GRAB THE DOG AND GO.  MAYBE TRY BRINGING YOUR CLOTHES TO WORK. GOOD LUCK AND GET MOVIN SWEETIE
Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!     
Most Active
Recent Topics