Post op and birth control

Prettybrowneyezz
on 5/25/11 6:03 am - PA
Hey there!

Before having RNY I was on birth control pills.  After being 4 weeks post op my surgeon told me the birth control pills are no longer absorbed and I should be on something else.  My gyn/ob had no idea the RNY would effect it..  Odd, huh?  I am thinking about starting the "patch".  Has anyone had any problems with the patch or Mirena, the IUD?  You guys rock!
Koko10
on 5/25/11 6:28 am - NC
Not sure if you are different from me but after RNY I had a IUD placed but it didn't work at all. My OBGYN put me on double birth control pills and that worked perfectly. I took 2 a day at the same time. She just changed my prescription.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

TxSuz
on 5/25/11 6:32 am
 Why didnt your IUD work? I have an IUD and that is the only thing that has worked for my in the past. 
 -Suzanne

Koko10
on 5/25/11 6:36 am - NC
It's a real long story but I have a enlarged and very tilted uterus. When they finally got it in, I bled for 3 weeks straight very heavy. When they finally got it out, I bled for over a week heavily until the birth control pills kicked in. Then they said, let's take a look and did a ultrasound. Tomorrow I go in to have a open hysterectomy. I was just saying that you can take pills if you want to. Just  double up. It's still a option.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

mandajolyn
on 5/25/11 7:02 am - Tallahassee, FL
We don't absorb 100% of the pill so I was always told to use double protection. The pill and a condom or the patch and a condom or any doubled protection you choose. You could post this question on the pregnancy board here and get some great advise.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

facethemusic
on 5/25/11 8:11 am
My OB said that I'd have to double the pills to absorb enough to provide effective birth control.  We collectively decided to try out the Depo shot.  I was on it in highschool and it didn't cause weight gain then so I wasn't too worried.  Other than making me a complete ***** for a week I have no complaints.  My weight loss has been steady and we still use condoms as a back-up just in case.   My periods are normal as well.

If you are a canidate for the IUD I'd recommend it.  I had one before I had my daughter and I loved it.  After giving birth to her my uterus was in a weird position, aka tilted. So, I can't have one any longer.  The IUD is wonderful because it regulated my periods and reduced the pain I had during my period.  If I could do it again I would in a heartbeat.  I love my Depo shot too though.  I'm not sure if they make the "patch" anymore.  

What about Nuva Ring?  I have a friend who uses it and loves it.  She said you dont' even know it's there.  
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

psx chelly
on 5/25/11 8:28 am

I started my Depo shot again week 3 after surgery.  no problems at all.

grmadeb01
on 5/25/11 9:17 am - FL
i am in the same boat as you...i am just 7 weeks out...i am leaving on june 1st for 3 months, and i told hubby that when i get back, "ONE OF US GETTING SNIPPED" so we shall see then...i just doint like the idea of an IUD, and its just time
have a great day
debby
Raynae S.
on 5/25/11 9:56 am - PA
 I used the patch 5 years ago and it always seemed to come off.  Of course it was summer time so I was in the pool alot.  Good Luck...I hope you find something that works for you!!
bluek
on 5/25/11 10:12 am - Austin, TX
I'm a little worried about this too. I haven't had kids and want to get pregnant in about a year, so I don't want the IUD. condoms make me itch!
I worry that taking two birth control pills a day would be dangerous? I get migraines, so i take my pill continuously. also, no way my insurance would cover two packs of pills per month.
dilemma!
Most Active
Recent Topics