Barium Rant

babybooo828
on 5/26/11 3:42 am
 Ugh. My surgeon thinks I may have gallstones or something else wrong with my gall bladder. Two weeks ago I have an ultra sound of my gall bladder. Last week I had a bunch of blood work done to make sure my kidneys could handle the barium I would need to drink for a CT scan. So today I had the not so lovely task of drinking about 16 oz of barium and then another 8 oz thirty minutes later. Then when I got there, I had to drink around 4 oz.. It was so gross. I'm not even going to lie. It was horrible and I kept gaging on it. Since I get sick so much and vomit a lot (I had two stricture early out and now I vomit with the gall bladder pain), it is so easy for me to gag on something and vomit. I had to try really hard to not get sick on the barium. Now, I wait. I am hoping my surgeon gets the results soon and they can decide what I need to do. I am tired of getting sick when I eat.

Michelle L.
on 5/26/11 3:49 am - Phoenix, AZ
Good luck to you! That barium is naaaaasty.

poet_kelly
on 5/26/11 3:50 am - OH
I had a lot of nausea in the beginning and had to drink some barium for tests.  It makes lots of sense, huh?  You feel like puking so they want you to guzzle a bunch of this chalky stuff?  I hope they figure it out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tonya0531
on 5/26/11 4:02 am - Lake, MS
Good luck!!  Barium is horrible.  Why can't they make something that tastes pretty good, especially when you have to drink soooo much of it??  After I lost 50 lbs. with my band, my gallbladder died.  I hope it all goes well with you!
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Michelle E.
on 5/26/11 4:12 am
Have them do an ultrasound.. thats how they found my gallstones
grmadeb01
on 5/26/11 4:14 am - FL
it seems like anything a dr orders is NASTY...no wonder most people dont like going to the drs....i was in hospital for my bypass and after the barium test, i just said flat out..."IM NOT TAKING ANYTING NASTY IN MY MOUTH" just not gonna do it..if it can be in my IV, them im not going to take it....i was to that point...they only used my IV for the fluids and vitamins...everything else was in my mouth..i have a easy gag...and i was just done.. ha hah, i was going home the next day and it was late in the day, ...but i was done by mouth anyhow..unless it was swallow pills..
have a great day
debby
jillbhappy
on 5/26/11 4:26 am, edited 5/26/11 4:26 am - Oceanside, CA
ADVICE FROM AN OLD FROM AN X-RAY TECH....DRINK TONS OF FLUIDS OR YOU WILL GET HORRIBLY CONSTIPATED
Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!     
babybooo828
on 5/26/11 6:17 am
 Thanks! That's what my mom said too. I am trying to drink a lot of water, and I'm an still getting that constipated feeling. I am going, but its all hard, and I feel really bloated and crampy like. Ugh! 

ObiMomKenobi
on 5/26/11 3:37 pm
Worst constipation of my LIFE was after an upper GI with Barium! I don't know why they don't just tell you to take stool softeners and laxatives afterwords. It just makes sense! I suffered so much, and I was just a young teenager. It was ridiculous.

Might want to talk to the doc about that.

Amanda :)

babybooo828
on 5/26/11 9:10 pm
 I must be really odd. I didn't have any constipation. 

TMI warning...

I had the worst diarhea of my life. It was so gross and smelled nastier than anything I have ever smelled before. It wasn't like normal watery diahrea either. It was thick like a milkshake, but all liquid, nothing solid. That was so weird.

I have to say though, it was probably much easier to go through that 30 minutes of diarhea, than days of constipation.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 352 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 253 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 114 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?