3 days post op

Melly_Belly
on 5/26/11 10:18 am - WI
Ok, I know pain is expected and I know I need to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk....BUT can you tell me some of your experieces with some of the problems I'm having.

As I said, I'm 3 days out and the pain on my left feels like someone is shoving a shovel under my breastbone every time I move, walk, try to stand up, etc. Anyone else have this same thing? How long did it last? I'm taking liquid Tylenol and Oxy every 3 hours, but that only takes off the edge of the pain.

Also, I have yet to pass gas (read: fart) - I've been burping since the day of surgery, but nothing from the back. I've taken 2 chewable gas-x tablets, been walking and nothing. Not even the smallest poot. Any other suggestions? How many days did it take you to pass gas?

I just can't help thinking that if I could get rid of some of this gas, I'll start feeling SO much better.

And don't worry about telling me to keep in touch with my doctor/nurses, because I am. Just thought I'd get the "real life" experiences from you all as well as the medical explainations.

Thanks!

Surgery Date: May 23, 2011

HW: 307.9 SW: 299.5 CW: 181.8 GW: 155

amym1981
on 5/26/11 10:59 am
Truthfully- I was not in TOO much pain afterward.  I barely took any of the pain meds they gave me.  But I remember the first few days I was just bloated and the gas pain went to my shoulders too.  I relied more on gas x and tums than pain meds.  But definetly try walking around as much as possible.  Also- at first I was on liquid percocet and phengran (anti nausea med) and they seemed to work well
hellyham
on 5/26/11 11:06 am - ME
Hi, i am just 8 days out. i am still alittle tender, probably do to the cold im fighting with all the coughing.  I was in bed alot the first 3 days, i couldnt keep my eyes open at all.  i passed gas the first time at 4 or 5 days out. it helps to kinda scooch down and let it out. it took me 7 days to have a bowel movement.

Keep your chin up, they say it gets better. I hope it does soon. But on a good note ive lost 14lbs in 8 days. woot woot

Melly_Belly
on 5/26/11 12:22 pm - WI
Thank you both so much - as many times as I can hear "everyone's different," it always feels better to know we're not alone in this. I have never prayed for a good poot in my life!! What I wouldn't give for one right now

Surgery Date: May 23, 2011

HW: 307.9 SW: 299.5 CW: 181.8 GW: 155

Jessica276
on 5/26/11 12:46 pm
 Hi!!! My surgery was about a week ago and I felt the same way. All I wanted and wished for was a fart. At the end of day 3 I finally farted and it seems like up until 2 days ago I never stopped lol. Another thing you might want to try is infants mylicon. It seemed to help a little bit.  

Jess :) 
Work-in-Progress
on 5/26/11 3:23 pm
I had my surgery last Wed. 5/18 felt great and walked ALOT, since I was afraid they wouldn't discharge me if I didn't pass gas. On Saturday, 4 days later I informed the Dr. that I hadn't passed gas. He listened to my bowels and said everything sounded and went ahead and discharged me.... On my drive home, I farted! So it took me 4 days to fart- lol (who'd thought they'd ever get so excited about FaRtInG)
Firefly48
on 5/26/11 7:21 pm
Once I was home which was two days following surgery I didn't need to take pain meds. The gas was bad for about four days after surgery. Keep moving...I didn't really pass gas either, and I can't make myself burp....but how I wished I could. BUT it does get better so hang in there. I did find that laying in bed was more comfortable than sitting up, so for a couple days I stayed in bed, except for walking etc.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views