Post-op heartbeat

foundthesun
on 5/28/11 12:20 pm - NJ
Let me preface by saying this: I'm 25, I had my surgery Monday (5/28) where they also took my gallbladder out, and I have had a diagnosis of generalized anxiety since I was, oh, 18 or so. I'm still on Stage I diet.

Has anyone dealt with some post-op fast heartbeat after waking up? Because it seems I get hit with it for a few seconds, and it is a little disconcerning.

I actually ended up going to the hospital today (I have been out since Thursday night). I had tingling of the fingers and my stool (which is still diarrhea, ugh, I cannot wait to stop pooping so much!) was a weird color that I immediately thought was reddish. Anyway, long story short, I mentioned this all to the nice ER doc I went to see, and she tested for blood (which basically was getting something shoved up my butt to take a sample, I mention this only because I had to laugh - all these new experiences I've had to dealt with this week! XD) and then she decided to order a full blood test. Everything came back normal, and in fact my early issue (low potassium, which meant I had to drink TWO of those awful drinks) had resolved itself. My heartbeat was completely normal at the time, as was my BP.

So I'm kind of at a loss of what might be causing it, beyond stress. Any ideas? I'll be calling my doctor on Tuesday to make my followup appointment and I'll probably mention it on the phone.
unewillow
on 5/28/11 12:27 pm - CT
If it's only when you wake up...it could be orthostatic BP issues. When you wake up and sit up or stand up quickly your heart rate has to rapidly increase to pump blood up to your noggin. This could be an issue of slight dehydration or just your body re-setting itself post-op.

waitinggame
on 5/28/11 1:40 pm - Bowie, MD
I have the exact opposite problem. My heart rate is now in the 50's all the time with occasional drops to the 40's and rare bumps up to the 60's. It is weird all of the changes that occur with this surgery. Sorry about your, er, stool test! Bet she didn't even kiss you or take you to dinner first!! :)

Sounds like the poster before me may be onto something though. Likely some innocent, but stlil scary, issue.

Take care and keep us posted!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

liltimmy2005
on 7/5/16 9:26 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I have been dealing with something similar. For 6 weeks after my surgery they could not figure out why my heart rate was so fast. Just resting it was between 90-105 standing it would jump to 120-130 and if i were to walk around 180-235 depending on how far i walked. Finally after 6 weeks they put me on a Beta Blocker to slow the heart rate and that has worked for about 3 months but now it's happening again. The cardiologist thought it was due to the rapid weight loss however they are not 100% sure. Waiting on them to call me back as I just let them know it's happening again. Will update when I find out.

If anyone else has experienced this please let me know.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 455 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 349 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 349 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 221 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?