Confused about protein

Melly_Belly
on 6/3/11 11:29 am - WI
I've read a lot of people one here drink the Pure Protein and Oh Yeah! RTD shakes - because of that, I purchased some. They're good!

BUT then I read the back of them and I'm confused by the type of protein in them. Their ingrediants are below:

PURE PROTEIN (from website):
Ingredients: Water, Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate), Cocoa (processed with alkali), Artificial Flavors (contains caramel color), Tricalcium Phosphate, Soybean Oil, Sucralose, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan. Contains milk and soy ingredients.

OH YEAH! (from website):
Filtered Water, Diafiltered Skim Milk, OhYeah! Proprietary Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate), And Less Than 2% Of: Sunflower, Safflower and/or Canola Oil, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Salt, Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Zinc Amino Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Phytomenadione, Potassium Iodide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Chromium Chloride, Copper Amino Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Manganese Sulfate), Lactase, Acesulfame Potassium, Datem, Red 3, Blue 1.

My question...are either of these good for us post-RNY as they don't appear to be whey protein isolate?

Surgery Date: May 23, 2011

HW: 307.9 SW: 299.5 CW: 181.8 GW: 155

ahmerzrealm
on 6/3/11 11:34 am - Naperville, IL
The best kind of protein is what you mentioned .. whey protein isolate. Its is the type best absorbed by our system. So, anything else is not recommended. What you are taking may not be the best thing for you. 

So, finish what you got and see if anyone here can recommend some good RTD shakes for you.
A fried on mines uses Isopure RTD and Muscle Milk RTD .. she loves them.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/3/11 11:40 am - OH
Milk protein is whey protein, so these are fine even though they are not the preferred whey protein isolate. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

armywife05
on 6/3/11 12:10 pm
Oh! Watch out for the muscle milk...my NUT said they have more fat, may contain sugar and they've just discovered they have traces of lead in them! Just an FYI
First Goal

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/3/11 10:28 pm
The musle milk powder I have is low sugar and low fat.  That is why you need to read labels and not assume all procduct for each company are the same.  Body builders would want the fat and sugar while bariatric patients would not.

Winnie

pamkb
on 6/3/11 2:03 pm - Crestview, FL
They probably aren't the most IDEAL protein to have but the protein is acceptable (according to my NUT).  If you like, or can tolerate whey protein isolate, then that is more ideal but this protein is better than no protein.

My favorite RTD is Protein Blitz (in Grape) by Designer Whey.  My favorite powder is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (Double Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream) and the Nectar Roadside Lemonade and Caribbean Cooler.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

facethemusic
on 6/3/11 9:38 pm
I love the Grape Protein Blitz!  The Orange Mango isn't too bad either.  I thought I was the only one that drinks those.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

pamkb
on 6/3/11 9:55 pm - Crestview, FL
uh-oh, I let our secret out on the Protein Blitz, didn't I???   I haven't tried the Orango Mango yet but I buy the grape by the case and always have it on hand.  It's a protein that I truly enjoy drinking.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

lesm310
on 6/3/11 8:39 pm - Greensburg, PA
I haven't had surgery yet, but my surgeon suggests Isopure zero carb.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 155 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics