Post-op day 4

vkhill22
on 6/4/11 1:12 pm - Duluth, MN
Just came home today! Feels so good to be home, but I'm feeling soooo full and bloated. I can't even get down my Carnation Instant Breakfast. I did eat about a 1/4 cup of tomatoe soup with instant milk, but it feels like nothing else will fit!!  I have retained a lot of water from the surgery, but I'm wondering how to reduce it?? How can I drink anything when nothing will fit?? Please help--miserable!!  Also was sent home with pill form hydrocodone. Is this ok??
Lorrainecma
on 6/4/11 1:16 pm

Wow, you are able to get in alot more than I could at 4 days out. Sounds like you are doing great!!

Yes, the hydrocodone is fine.

The fluid will come off in time. The most important thing for you right now is fluids, but I sure couldnt get alot in this early.

vkhill22
on 6/4/11 1:18 pm - Duluth, MN
Thanks so much for your reply, Lorrainecma. I just needed to hear that!!
NIXMOMMIE
on 6/4/11 1:49 pm - NC
In had a hard time immediately after surgery as well. SF popsicles helped me a lot. It counts as fluid and they are yummy. also sip sip sip on water or tea ot sf lemonade.

gracie5
on 6/4/11 2:55 pm
Hope you get  to feeling better, I haven't had my surgery yet but wish you the best
Emma Gayden
on 6/4/11 2:56 pm - Columbiana, AL
The best thing to do is walk, walk, and walk some more. You will feel so much better. Congratulations! You are doing just fine.

"Living my life likes it's golden"

BugdocMom
on 6/4/11 3:54 pm - CA
I had my surgery on May 31. I hav4e also had a difficult time wanting to drink anything. I keep fluids coming in by continually placing small bits of crushed ice in my mouth to melt. It actually feels quite nice and puts very little pressure on my pouch.
Wishmeluck123
on 6/4/11 8:03 pm
Welcome  home! It did feel so good to get home and in my own bed! Just keep in mind  you had major surgery. You may not have an appetite for another 2-3 weeks......If you do choose to drink/eat anything....It should be h20/crystal lite to keep hydrated and your protein drinks. Even if it takes you all day to get it finished. I took a sip here and there all day. My husband said you need to drink.....so he suggested while I was recovering to drink during commercials lol....this way I was aware it was time and I knew there were lots of them so I could try to drink as much as I could.....
It will get easier and you will feel like you old self again only better!
Allow yourself time to heal! The water weight will disappear and so will that bloated feeling.......

Hang in there!
Melissa~ 

Acceptance means that you can find the serenity within to let go of the past with its mistakes and regrets, move into the future with a new perspective, and appreciate the opportunity to take a second chance!