Friends act different now

Jasmine130
on 6/6/11 9:38 am - Redwood City, CA
Hi Angie, yes that does happen.  It happened to me with a close friend at the office.  I had heard here and at my surgery support groups that having WLS and losing a lot of weight can change the dynamics of many of our relationships.  So I was forewarned and when our friendship started getting strained, I saw what was happening.  I took a gentle approach and pretty much didn't talk about my weight loss and if she brought it up, I took her cue about how much to say.

Sure enough, our friendship survived that bump in the road and we are still good friends.

I can really understand it.  I have been jealous of the weight loss of others, and unhappy because their weight loss reminded me of my repeated failures.  It was hard for me to see them succeed at this while I wasn't.  I tried to cover up my feelings of jealousy with "concerns" for their health.  Hah, they didn't lose so much weight that their health was in danger. That was just another coping/denial thing I dreamed up to deal with my own hopelessness.  Yep.

Hugs, it gets better and the friends that are meant to be will be there when all is said and done.

-Jasmine
BELOW GOAL! Proud and Grateful Member of the Double Century Club
Pre-Op/Current/Initial Goal:  354/127.5/150
Tummy Tuck and Lower Body Lift Done on 05/11/2009
Mastopexy with Augmentation and Brachioplasty Done on 10/08/2009
 I  My RNY!

Most Active
Recent Topics