soft versus pureed

c5felsspirit
on 6/6/11 12:30 pm - lake cormorant, MS
ok I am about to start the soft food menu however a couple of questions first.

are these soft or puree?

refried beans
protein pudding
applesauce
greek yougart
sugar free jello pudding
Sarah   
Living for the moment. Living for me. Loving the moment. Loving me!!!

Ms_V
on 6/6/11 12:38 pm, edited 6/6/11 12:38 pm
Not sure what your Dr. says buuuuut I can have everything on your list but the refried beans and I am on full liquids.
c5felsspirit
on 6/6/11 12:43 pm - lake cormorant, MS
Ihave been liquid only. His dietician said no pudding or yogart the first week. the main one I want to know is beans pureed any bean..... black eyes peas, refried beans, great northern.....
kaleidos
on 6/6/11 1:10 pm, edited 6/6/11 1:11 pm
This is what my nutritionist has for Stage 2 (what you are calling the "soft" stage...the one immediately after liquids only):

Pureed beans (just beans with a smidgen of water to make it soft instead of a too-thick paste) are on my "soft foods" list. Garbanzo (chick peas), pinto, kidney, and navy beans specifically. They should be really (even over) cooked and very soft before you puree them.

Refried beans are on the stage after that for me, and have to be the fat free kind. Many varieties have extra spices in them which could irritate your stomach.

Everything else on your list is on our Stage 2 list.

Weight loss includes 57.7 pounds before surgery. Not weighing until 2 weeks after surgery.
BugdocMom
on 6/6/11 1:11 pm - CA
I am on liquids only and NONE of those are on my list. But I think they are all on my next step, "mushy foods". Did your surgeon's office send you a list of example foods? If you are concerned, ask for one. But, honestly, I would consider those all soft foods...even the beans, particularly if you puree them.

Ninnygirlj
on 6/6/11 1:56 pm
I could have those things when I moved to the soft/mushy food. The refried beans could not have any lumps in them. I would call your surgeon and ask just to be sure.

mypookiesma
on 6/6/11 3:28 pm - SC
For what it is worth, I think that soft and pureed foods are basically the same.  My program stages were #1 Clear Liquids (1 wk), #2 Full Liquids (2 wks), #3 Soft Foods (3 wks) and then on to Maintenance after the first 6 wks. 

I was told that if you could cut or ma**** with a fork it was considered a soft food.

This is my list of soft foods:
Soft meats
Canned tuna, chicken, salmon (packed in water)
Cottage cheese
Low-fat cheese
Eggs (scrambled or hard boiled)
Lo-fat refried beans
Casseroles
Canned fruit (no syrup)
No sugar added applesauce
Canned or soft cooked vegetables

**No bread, cereal, rice, pasta or crackers during this stage.

Good luck!!
Vickie

babybooo828
on 6/7/11 1:04 am
 I am  bit confussed. You are going to start the soft foods stage? What stage where you on before this?

I did clear liquids, then full liquids, then puree, then soft foods.

The jello was on clear liquids. Greek yogurt (plain), and protein pudding where on the full liquids. The applesause was on the puree stage, and if you added water to the refried beans and put them in the blender they were on the puree stage as well. If the refried beans had nothing added to them, they there were soft foods. On the soft foods stage, I was able to start eating eggs, cottage cheese, soft cheeses (like light babybell or light laughing cow wedges), tuna, and other stuff that I cannot remember. After I did well on soft foods, I was given the okay to start trying other things such as chicken.

Each surgeon is different. Did you surgeon give you a list of foods for what stage? If not, you may want to give his/her office a call to see what you should be eating.

Most Active
Recent Topics