Am I getting enough protein?

Joanne M.
on 6/8/11 2:10 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
I'm 12 weeks out today and feel amazing.  I go for my 3 month appt next week. 

In the back of my mind, I feel like I'm not getting enough protein at 3 months.  I have 3 meals a day with about 15 grams of protein total and then 48 grams with my 2 protein drinks.  

Is 63 grams a day enough?  I have energy but because I'm working out a lot, I do feel tired at times.

Any advice or do you remember how much protein you were taking at 3 month?

Thanks.  Joanne

Pam211
on 6/8/11 2:44 am - Lexington-Fayette, KY
63 grams of protein is not enough.....my doctor's guideline is at the very least 70 grams, some say 100.

facethemusic
on 6/8/11 2:55 am
It's crazy how different everyone's guidelines are.  My NUT says 40-60g but my surgeon says 80-100.  (They are in two separate offices) I always aim for 100.  If I don't hit it I'm usually pretty close.  Since you're working out I would say 60g is nowhere near enough.  I'm not working out and I feel like crap if I go under 70g which is rare.  Maybe add another protein drink? 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/11 3:10 am - OH
It's probably enough.  You should get labs next week and you'll see - some people do need more.  But it's probably enough.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 6/8/11 3:11 am
When I was 3 months out I was supposed to be getting in at least 90grams. I "couldn't find a protein I like" and didn't bother getting in enough. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID. I am in serious trouble because my protein is so low, AND on top of that,I had a cardiac arrest/arrythmia that just about killed me last summer partially due to not getting enough protein.

If I could go back and do it again, I would figure out some way to get in at least the 90grams. More won't hurt you. So if you're getting in 63grams and you think that's enough but aren't sure, it won't hurt you to add another shake or something.

It takes a LOT to "overdose" on protein, over 200 grams per day, so you probably don't need to worry about getting to much.

Best of luck to you on your journey! Glad you are doing so well!
AngieT75
on 6/8/11 5:13 am
When iw as 3 months i was supposed to get at least 45, now at 6 month  i should get 60
i go for more thatn that and my hair stopped falling out. i would say 63 is enough. BUT they like you to get it from food rather than protein shakes. This is what my Dr says.
I do drink a Boost smart calorie everyday just to make sure. Some days i add a scoop of Jillian michales pp to it for  a ttoal of 44 for that 8 oz shake. but i always eat my protein also
Greek yogurt in the morning , then a snake of cheese or peanut buter, then lunch is chili or chicken breast, then nuts or cheese or cottage cheese then dinner again protein. then shake.
i am 6 months and lost 121 lbs so far
good luck.

RNY Nov 17, 2011

High weight 423

Surgery day 403

Current 162

261 lost

Joanne M.
on 6/8/11 7:53 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
Thanks for all of the advice.  I will DEFINATELY bring this up next week and make sure they do my labs.  I'm going to do an extra shake tonight and see how I feel.  I'm also leaving for a 5-week trip in less than 2 weeks and I could be tired from all the planning and extra work.

I, too, love greek yogurt and cheese and have chili and other high protein foods.  I know that I'm doing well but want to be really sure.  I've heard that I will eventually need to get up to 100 grams but I can't eat a lot right now, so it will have to be an extra shake, which would bring me up to 87 a day.

Thanks again!

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 6/8/11 9:03 am
My surgeon and many others have their patients on 64-65 gms of protein a day - for many of us we cut that back a bit after the 2 yr mark when our bodies get a bit more efficient. I'm down to about 45-50 a day now and have been for quite a while. 65 gms of protein is plenty for most patients. Many get kidney stones when they increase protein too much over that. Many docs warn against getting close to 100 gms per day. I remember being on here 10 yrs ago and first hearing about the protein/kidney stone link. Many cut back after stones and limit protein so they don't have a re-occurance. If you're feeling good, are active, not sluggish or tired, you're still losing and getting in exercise to keep your muscles active then it's enough for you. Double check with your doc if you're not sure. I was on 64 gms of protein (food only, I never did shakes as per my doc) per day and was always doing strenuous or extreme exercise and never had a problem. Being on only food for protein it took a couple months to be able to work up to getting it all in - not a problem, it worked out in the end. Hit goal at 11 or 12 months out and I'm still there. Meals are still protein only or protein forward.
Jen 9+ yrs post op.
Joanne M.
on 6/8/11 11:04 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
Thanks Jen.  Your post was very helpful.  Since I'm still only each 1/4 cup of food at each meal, my protein drinks are essential and I never miss them.  I'll ask my docs office about when I start increasing food, whether or not I need to decrease the shake intake.  Thx.  Joanne