"Starvation mode" questions

Heather M.
on 6/11/11 6:29 am - MI
Hi guys, I am not angry at all about this stall, because from everything I read, it's 100% normal to have stalls for 2 weeks, ok fine, no problem. My question is, however, I'm in my 3 week and I haven't lost anything since just a few days after surgery. So, although I know stalls are common later out.... is it 100% feasible to still not have lost any weight at all in the first 3 weeks? I didn't realize this happened.

My doc says it might be because of starvation mode, from not eating enough. I am barely able to get 400 calories in on a normal day. I am just NOT hungry. Today I've had nothing bu****er. My question is two-part.

1. Is it normal to not have lost anything 3 weeks out?
     A. If yes, any ideas on when I should start loosing anything?

2. If, indeed, my body is not loosing a single pound because it is in starvation mode, how long does this normaly take to 'break'? Sooner or later the body must have to break out of starvation mode and start the loosing, right?

Happy weekend everyone!
Heather

Lisa R.
on 6/11/11 6:38 am - CA
 I had a friend who had surgery the day after me, we were in the hospital at the same time.  She lost nothing the first 3 weeks.  She was so upset and I even stopped talking with her because I was losing 10 lbs a week in the first 2 weeks and it was just upsetting her.

We are 6 weeks out now, both of us, I am down 29lbs and she is down 16 the last she told me about a week ago.  

Honestly, it has to come off sooner or later.  EVERYONE losses weight after RYN.....I have never heard of it not working.

Try to eat every 2 hours, force yourself if you have to.  Eat cheese and eggs and drink apple juice.  Get calories in.  My doctor said the worse thing we can do after RYN is not eat. 

cajungirl
on 6/11/11 6:40 am
It's not uncommon to struggle to eat enough this early out.  Did you take your measurements?  If not, do it today; if so, measure yourself to see if you have (which I bet you have) lost inches.

Week 3 was my first stall and it lasted until day one of week 6; I lost 6 lbs overnight. 

I DO understand you aren't hungry but honey you HAVE TO get in some protein.  Your organs are muscles, they need protein; you don't want your heart, kidneys, etc. to shut down.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/11/11 6:40 am - OH
1.  Most people do lose SOMETHING in the first 3 weeks, but everyone truly is different.

2.  Yes, it is true that if you do not eat enough, your body lowers your metabolism to hold on to every single calorie that you ARE eating... so not eating enough is counterproductive to weight loss.  The other probelm with not eating enough is that your bodyt needs a certain amount of rpotein every single day just to keep things functioning (like your brain), and if you are not getting enough protein from food/supplements, your body will take it from the only place it can -- your muscles (and your heart is a muscle)... so even if eventually you do start droipping weight without taking in mroe calories, you may be jeopardizing your health via muscle wasting.

It really is important to eat even though you are not hungry.  Many people here can attest that if you feel like crap all the time because you are malnourished, it doesn't matter how much (or how little) you weigh...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

TamaraL
on 6/11/11 6:41 am
Heather

They cut the nerves in your stomach so a lot of people are not hungry.

You do need to try to eat 4 mini meals/day.   you should be eating 600-800 calories/day. 

You are not going to break the starvation mode until you start eating more calories.  You can't live on 400 calories/day.

EAT!!!  Eat even when not hungry.   Just small meals.

Tamara

DisneyLover
on 6/11/11 6:42 am - WI
You aren't going to be hungry.  You just need to make yourself eat.  I found that once I started eating more and getting in my protein the weight started to fall off.  It is important you get your fluids in too.  For me it is all about scheduling.  I know at what points during the day I need to have X amount of food consumed and by what times during the day I should have X amount of fluids in.

Are you not able to eat more than 400 calories because you are sick or because you just don't eat?

Once you start eating what you need to your body will realize it is not starving.

Sarah

Heather M.
on 6/11/11 6:43 am - MI
Thanks!

I am also concerned because I can fit a bit over 1/2 a cup of pureed food (still on puree) into the pouch. I hae yet to feel any pain or discomfort, so I can not tell even if he really did the surgery.

I am just 100% not hungry, and it seems like I'd be damaging myself if I eat and I'm not hungry, like I'd be stretching the pouch (If I haven't already).

I'll make little jars of my puree food and eat every two hours starting today. I hope that will work.

Thanks again for your advice.
cajungirl
on 6/11/11 6:47 am
Someone commented above about your nerve endings being cut.  They aren't healed yet, you won't feel the full sensation probably right now.  1/2 c. of pureed food  should be OK, when you get dense protein you'll feel the fullness, pain, discomfort if you over eat.

No you haven't stretched your pouch, it isn't as easy as some people think it is. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

TamaraL
on 6/11/11 7:47 am
Heather, 

Remember that pureed food is much like liquids.  It is going to go straight thru the pouch fairly quickly.  1/2 cup of pureed food is good.  Like cajungirl said once you start eating solid foods like chicken/turkey then you will not be able to eat that much at first.  My surgeons office recommends us not go over 2/3 cup of food at 3-6 months and forever

Heather M.
on 6/11/11 6:47 am - MI
Thanks everyone for your advice. It seems like everyone is saying "eat little bits even when you aren't hungry". I will start doing this right now.

I CERTAINLY don't want anything to happen to my heart and brain, so your post about your heart being a muscle really whipped me into shape!

I DID loose 15 pounds the first week, but my NUT and my mom thinks it was due to me loosing the water they pumped into me during the surgery.

THANK YOU everyone for your support! I thought I had this thing down PAT, apparently not. You all rock!

H

Most Active
Recent Topics