BLAH!!! Feel like I should be on the failed page!

Candigirl23
on 6/13/11 1:56 am
I haven't failed, but I feel like I am failing. I have not lost any weight since June 1st. I am trying to cope with the mental portion of this surgery as well as I am coping with the physical, but so far.... UGH! I do take meds, but haven't seen my mental health professional because my mental health insurance has ran out! I am miserable! No one in my family understands, but my husband tries. I just don't want to fail!!!! I am scared to fail!
~ THE BEST IS YET TO BE ~

Cherylkas
on 6/13/11 2:07 am - PA
 Sounds like you maybe in a stall. Happens to everyone. I just got out of one. Instead of stepping on the scale try measuring yourself...and see that you are losing inches instead of pounds right now.

Sorry you are feeling so down and that you can;t get any help right now. You wont fail as long as you dont stop trying.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Kimanne01
on 6/13/11 2:10 am
How is losing almost 30 pounds in 2 months failing?  Thats great progress! From what I have read, we all go through periods of time where we don't lose weight. I didnt lose weight for three weeks after my surgery. I know it's easy to fall into this pit of thinking, but as long as you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, you aren't failing. As a newbie, I also know its easy to get discouraged when people keep positng that they have lost 75 pounds in the same amount of time that you lost 30. But you body is your body and it will happen at the right pace for your body.  I would put away your scale for a while and focus on doing things that make you feel good.  Focus on having a healthy lifestyle.  And celebrate your new life.  I know it's easier said than done, but we all deserve to feel good.  Have you tried a support group?  That way you can be around people who DO get it!

lynnc99
on 6/13/11 2:12 am
The fear of failure looms large for all of us. We are so well trained by yearsof failed dieting. I bet that most of us have had the thought, "What will I do if this works for everyone but me?" The key is to not let the fear immobilize us - just keep plugging along.

And stalls happen, sometimes lasting for several weeks. So it's likely that your body is simply adjusting to your initial weight loss and nutritional changes. Hang right in there, and the loss will kick in once again.

If you have a predisposition to depression (or even if you don't), my pre op psychologist cautioned me to be very aware of symptoms of depression. This is often related to the body's delay in adjusting to the size of your body, which affects hormone secretions and impacts our mood. It takes the endocrine system a while to catch up. When you see your dr., you will want to monitor your medication very closely because the dosages may very likely need adjustment.

Exercise helps greatly in stablizing moods and keeping the metabolism burning, so be sure you are active in some way every day.

Best of luck to you!
Judi J.
on 6/13/11 2:13 am - MN
measure yourself! sometimes your body is losing inches not pounds. And Diana Cox has an awesome post explaining why stalls happen but I don't have it handy.

Step away from the scale and hang in there. If you keep doing your part the weight will come off. Honest.
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 2:29 am - Boston, MA
 You are not failing!  I will be 3 months out tomorrow I've lost 78 lbs and I stall ALL THE TIME.. I go weeks without losing anything and then bam today I lost 4 pounds.. if you are sticking to your plan you will lose the weight!! I know it's stressful I get stressed and frustrated when a week goes by and nothing.. it's crazy what an emotional ride this is!! But you are doing great so far so relax!!!
cajungirl
on 6/13/11 2:42 am
It's not a race, try focusing on your mental and physical health and step off the scale for a week or two.

You're losing fine, measure those inches lost too.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 3:27 am - TX
The Diana Cox explanation:

The following explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.
Judi J.
on 6/13/11 3:31 am - MN
thank you!!
Sasrah1972
on 6/13/11 4:35 am - NY
That is fascinating. Thank you! I just don't know enough about my own biological make up. Really interesting. Maybe post it as its own post so that it is searchable?
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 490 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 537 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 253 views
Recent Topics