I am 6 weeks and 4 days from surgery

sstratton1970
on 6/12/11 8:56 am - NV
My dietitian put me on regular foods now. I am able to eat 1/2 cup to 3/4 per serving. I am concerned this is to much for me. Although I find that I feel fuller when I eat more than a 1/4 cup. I actually ate up to 3/4 cup chicken with Salsa on it. I don't want to gain weight. Today, I have lost a total of 62 pounds. I am 99 pounds to go to reach my doctors goal weight for me. I am choosing the right foods, but I am still worried to gain any weight. Oh, my dietitian told me to start eating more calories. I can eat up to 1300. I feel this is to much. Right now I reach about 700. I feel comfortable with staying at 600 to 650. My protein grams are 60 to 65. If any of you guys have suggestions for me please let me know. Thank you.
_Donna_
on 6/12/11 9:04 am
1300 calories? It sounds like she has put you on a maintenance diet; which is too soon.
Don't force yourself to eat more than you feel is too much, she can't feel your pain. Just know that you need to work yourself up to 3/4cup.
My nut suggests 90 grams of protein to prevent hair loss and more if you are aggressively exercising.

Congrats on your weight loss, 62 lbs is great

RNY 5-5-2011

Lisa R.
on 6/12/11 9:25 am - CA
 62lbs in 6 weeks!  WOW.  I thought I was doing great at 29lbs in 6 weeks.  That is nuts!  Have you been on liquids all this time?  My doctor had me eating soft protein by week 2 and pretty much full diet at a month with a few exceptions like carbs and beef.

All I know is that you have to eat if you want to keep losing. The key to this whole thing  is to eat often, and the right thing.  

You may put on a few lbs with this new diet plan, but that is ok because you have lost SOOO much so fast.  Make sure you are getting as much protein as possible and taker zinc and biotin for hair loss.  

What weight did you start with?  I'm am still just shocked at 62lbs in 6 weeks.  I couldn't even imagine.  Good job!

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
TamaraL
on 6/12/11 9:30 am
If you eat soft foods you are going to be able to eat more of course. 

You said that you ate 3/4 cup of chicken with salsa on it.  Was this solid pieces of chicken??  I was told only to do 2-3 oz protien and then the rest vegetables or fruit.  If you eat too much protien at one time your body will have a hard time processing all of that protien at one time.

For the first 4 months I stayed at 600-800 calories and occasionally 1000 calories.  I am 8 months out and started recording again and found I am eating more calories than I thought.  I have had a couple of days where I have ate 1300 calories.

Make sure you are eating 4 mini meals.  Don't go too long without eating!!  Your protien is good at this point, eventually you will get more in. 

sstratton1970
on 6/12/11 9:33 am - NV
Lisa,
I started at 298 before my RNY. I had to do a 6 week Pre-Op Diet. That is what helped. I did go through all the phases. Of clear liquids, full liquids, pureed foods, soft foods and now I am on regular foods. I am making sure to choose healthier foods. I feel I over did it with the chicken though. I had 3/4 cup. I think next time I will eat a lot less. Even though I can eat more, I will stay below like 1/2 cup or smaller.
Lisa R.
on 6/12/11 10:00 am - CA
 Well, pre or post lost, I am still impressed with your 62lbs lost.  I was hoping to lose that in 3 or 4 months, not just 6 weeks!  

How many sizes have you lost?  Do you need to buy new cloths yet?

I lost nothing preop cause I was bad and ignored the doctor who didn't really have a strict pre op plan anyway.  I ate like a dead man walking, like every bite was my last EVER.  Stupid stupid stupid now that I look back and know the reality.  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 234 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics