Medication Question for Newbie

luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/13/11 4:32 pm - Canada
I am sorry if this sounds stupid...but i am wondering what happens if you have to take medication....and when you have ryn your body does not absorb all medication...

I just wanted to hear from someone on how it has (if any)effected your life....ie when you need to take anitbiotics, or high blood pressure medication or any medication that you might require....

I am scheduled for ryn july 1st...and i am just wanting to learn as much as i can....obviously your body must absorb some because you are on a multi vitamin for life...etc...but what do they do..increase the amount of medication they give you....

I also know ready that the malabsorpution only last for a year and half or so....is that correct?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie with a ton of questions and answering my questions....

seattledeb
on 6/13/11 4:48 pm
It depends on the medication. There are some medications you should not take. Time release meds and non steroidal anti-inflammatory meds.
Some b/p meds are time release but most aren't. If you have high blood pressure pre surgery you may find that you don't after. I went from 4 b/p meds to none.
You will need to work with your doctor before you take any medicine post surgery.
You won't necessarily need a higher dose of medication though.
Deb T.

sjweiser
on 6/13/11 5:15 pm
 Hi I had to crush all my meds for 5 weeks after surgery. Then I was able to take then whole
again.
aclay
on 6/13/11 11:19 pm - MA
Hi...very good question.  I actually called my doctor yesterday about this.  (She hasn't returned my call yet)  I posted yesterday about my throat killing thinking that when i split a vitamin in half that it scraped me ...I'm a newbie to this too! LOL   But, now my ears and throat hurt.  So I'm thinking it might be allergies.  I have no idea what I can take so I 've been doing popsicles and SF hard candy to suck on.  When I hear back from her I'll ask what are we allowed to take when we get sick for over the counter or antibiotics.  My doctor didn't tell me ANYTHING about medication.  I had no clue we werre'nt suppposed to take IB profrin till I read it on this board.

facethemusic
on 6/13/11 11:38 pm
It does sound like allergies in your case.  Try some nose spray.  When I get stuffy like that and it's in my ears and throat the only thing that helps is nose spray.  You can take sinus meds and allergy meds too.

OP, most doctor's will change your medications from extended release to the regular formations of certain meds.  I was on BP meds after surgery for a few weeks and I had no issues absorbing them.  In fact, around 3 weeks out my blood pressure started to dip too low and we decided to take me off the pills.  Since then my BP has been normal.  That being said I don't think I absorb my antidepressant as well as I did pre-op.  I go Thursday to see if it needs to be adjusted.  That's not that big of a deal though.  As long as you work closely with all of your doctors to stay on top of your meds and keep an eye on how well they work you'll be fine.

Basically you just want to avoid NSAIDS (Motrin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Asprin, Pepto Bismol, Toradol, Celebrex).  They can cause ulcers and they are really hard on our new stomachs.  Other than that there is no limits on medications. 
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

Amy R.
on 6/14/11 12:14 am
Most, not quite all but most, medications come in a format that you can take postop. You just need to avoid extended release formulations and of course, NSAIDs. You can titrate the dosages of others to fit you with the help of your doctor as you lose weight post op.

Almost ALL antibiotics are available in liquid if that's what your doc decides you need, and many pain meds are also available in liquid. Blood pressure meds and psych meds can be adjusted until the dosage is correct for you. Odds are the dosage of these maintenance type meds may change as you lose such a large amount of weight anyway.

I never had to crush my pills after the first few days, and I know folks who never crushed theirs at all. DID have to split the larger ones for a while, simply because I couldn't swallow them, but pill splitters are available at the drug store for a couple of dollars. (mine was actually a splitter and crusher combined which was cool). And I have never in 2 1/2 years had to take medication in a liquid format other than the pain meds they gave me to come home from the hospital with.

Hope this helps. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery and journey - I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's changed my life!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 260 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 118 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?