2 weeks post-op still alot of gas and diarrhea

vkhill22
on 6/16/11 3:50 am - Duluth, MN
This whole 2 weeks of recovery, I've been in pain from gas and diarrhea. I spend more time in the bathroom than I want to!! Even drinking jus****er hurts. Not sure what's going on or is this just normal? Gave up milk and switched to soy protein. Still comes right out of me, so probably not getting the protein I need. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and any ideas would be much appreciated!!
_Donna_
on 6/16/11 3:57 am
It could still be a reaction from the antibiotics. I had this problem for the first couple of weeks after surgery too.
I don't know if you want to try it but I ate some activia, minus the fruit. I just kinda dipped my spoon in and then licked a tiny bit at a time. It took me 2 days to eat the 4 oz container, but it really seemed to help.

RNY 5-5-2011

CdnGal
on 6/16/11 3:58 am - Canada
Are you walking???  I am 2 weeks out as well and I walk at least twice a day, an hour each time.  I have found that it helps get out the gas so to speak.  Then I am not feeling bloated, and my bm have been fine.  Also are you getting enough water in?  I was told at the hospital that if we have alot of diaherria then it meant we weren't getting enough water in.  Sip sip sip, Take care!
babybooo828
on 6/16/11 4:14 am
 I seemed to have diarrhea for the first few weeks. I think it was caused by two things: 1) the antibiotic given to be in the hospital and 2) the fact that I was only taking in liquids (liquids in, liquids out). 

I didn't have much gas pain, but I did have A LOT of gas. It seemed like my noises where always coming from my tummy area for the first two months or so. It was so noisey!  

Walking may help with the gas pains... if you are already walking a lot and it isn't helping much, you may want to call your surgeons office and see what they recomend at this stage for gas.

vkhill22
on 6/16/11 4:41 am - Duluth, MN
Thanks for some ideas! No, I'm not walking much because I've been so nauseous!! I've even thrown-up quite a few times. I'm going to the surgeons office today for a fecal sample to see if it is from the antibiotics. I guess they can treat that if it is. And now that I can eat a few things, it still comes out "whoosh". The belly pain is terrible! I curl-up in a ball on the couch. Hopefully, I'll get some answers today. Thanks, all!
babybooo828
on 6/16/11 4:51 am
 The information my surgeon gave me before surgery about things that could happen after surgery (nausea, vomitting, constipation, diarrhhea, dumping, ect.) said that when feeling nausious, the thing we want to do is to lay down, but the thing we should actually is stand and walk around or at least sit in an upright position.

I have noticed that during the times I follow this advice I feel better much quicker. But when I don't its seems to get worse. If I am nausious and lay down, I usually end up vomitting. A lot of times that I think I will vomit, but stand up and walk around, I end up not vomitting.

It is so hard to walk around when I am nausious because all I want to do is lay down and go to sleep.

Dave Chambers
on 6/16/11 4:51 am - Mira Loma, CA
I have minimal issues as a new post op. But, at around 7-8 months post op, I had to have stitches for a severe hand cut, and I got Cipro as an antibiotic. 2 days later, I ended up with 7 days of constant diarrhea.  Some antibiotics can cause these issues. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Jenny_D
on 6/16/11 5:26 am - Canton, GA
I'm two weeks post-op as well and I had horrible gas and pure liquid diarrhea at first, but it went away after a week.

My doctor had given me prescription acid reducer for my tummy and a stool softener, but i didn't really need them. I wonder if something like that would help you?
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Perfumesheep
on 6/16/11 5:39 am - CT
RNY on 11/01/10 with
Soy protein won't do you much good unfortunately. You are better off trying a very gentle whey formula with lactaid milk. Did you have your gallbladder removed with your RNY? I did, and has very bad diarrhea for 2 weeks post op. Doc says bile was pouring into my gut. He put me back on clear liquids since I was not tolerating any protein. I think it could be a combination of things for you, so you gotta take a step back. Call your doc but I would back up to clear liquids and slowly add in isopure (the fruity drink)
losing-jennifer
on 6/16/11 6:49 am
I don't drink milk and in the past before surgery soy would gas me right up! I'd be careful with the soy because that can make things worse. Try almond milk instead. I enjoy it. So try removing the soy milk as well.