Update on that 'Rare Early Stall'

Heather M.
on 6/17/11 1:06 am - MI
I posted a few days ago telling you how I was only 3 weeks out and I had not lost anything for 2 weeks. My dietician told me it was one of the 'rare early stalls' that's not completely unheard of. My last post also, I indicated that she thought I was not getting enough calories in, and she termed it 'starvation mode'. A vet from here (Lora) and some others told me about my body starting to eat away my heart and it scared me into shape.

I went out and got Slim Fast Carb Diet drinks (chocolate). I have been having those along with making it a point to eat more every day. Although still not enough, I am now getting in at LEAST 600 calories a day (liquid isn't an issue to me, I am drinking fine!)

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I skipped weighing yesterday because I didn't want to torture myself. Today I stepped on, and 5 pounds are gone over 2 days! I honestly want to say that it's because I'm eating more calories (or drinking them)! I thank everyone who helped me, and the NUT who told me I NEEDED to get in more. It's all coming together!

tydephan
on 6/17/11 3:08 am, edited 6/17/11 3:09 am
I stalled from weeks 2 to 4. Didn't lose a single pound.

I placed more focus on getting the most amount of protein I can get into a day, along with walking until my legs feel like they are going to fall off each night, and the stall finally broke. I've never been so thankful to see the scales move!

Congrats. Keep it up.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/17/11 5:24 am
Based on the posts on OH forums,  I don't think a stall during weeks 2 or 3 are unusual.  Anyway,  I am glad yours is over.

Winnie

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/11 6:42 am
Exactly, that's what I was just going to say!  Actually you see a TON of people hitting a stall at about 3 weeks... and for some, it can last another 3 weeks.  It usually has to do with your body trying to recovery from the trauma of surgery and suddenly taking in so few calories.  Also, if you did lose a lot on a pre-op diet, the first couple weeks after surgery you drop a ton of weight, but it's mostly water weight.  At that point, your body stops for a while and adjusts, then gets back into it.

ALways remember that when you reach periods where you don't see the scale moving that your body can still be changing shape... so it's important to measure yourself NOW so you have a baseline.  As you hit stalls later on, you can ease your mind a bit by measuring and confirming that you are indeed getting smaller.  Some call it the 'swiss cheese' effect... after a while, there's so many 'holes' that the body needs to stop and recompress.  Then, starting from a smaller, solid size more holes can start to be created....

Good analogy... just keep working your plan, exercising and staying away from the scale as much as possible to keep yourself sane!  Trust the process... best of luck to you.

tori
findingtheweigh
on 6/17/11 10:58 am - ME
Reading all of this makes me feel a little better. I am almost 7 weeks out and I have only lost 20 pounds. I feel like that isn't very much and I have not lost but a couple pounds in the past two weeks. I am getting my protein in. I am just scared that I am going to be that "one" that the surgery doesn't work for!

Lisa

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/17/11 11:03 am - OH
Interesting that your dietician told you the early stall was "rare" or "not completely unheard of".  How long has (s)he been working with WLS patients?!?  Even a quick search through old posts here will show you that MOST people encounter a stall sometime during the first month.  Not usually week 2, but quite often week 3... so it is NOT rare.

Good for you for upping the calories.  You will FEEL much better and your body will FUNCTION better when not starving.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.