Spices and booze

Radiogirl39
on 6/19/11 8:05 am - Canada
Just wondering about a couple of my favorite things that I will miss the most: garlic and wine.  Once you are on regular food, can you tolerate garlicky foods?  I know wine has a lot of extra calories, but at least a glass here and there.....?
poet_kelly
on 6/19/11 8:10 am - OH
I tolerate garlic and other spicy stuff just fine.  I love spicy foods.

I've never been a big drinker but have had very small amounts of alcohol on a couple of occassions since surgery and tolerated that OK too.  I'm talking like a small glass of wine two or three times.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/19/11 8:18 am - OH
I had no problem with spices of any kind after surgery.

I was never much of a drinker, but can tell you that the couple of times that I have had alcohol since surgery, it took very little to make me dizzy, etc. and then it wore off very quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

msromagnola
on 6/19/11 8:47 am
For me - no problems with any spices from day one.  I have a 1/2 glass of wine about 3 times a week.  You're right, there's extra calories and it's probably slowed my weight loss - but it's just so darn enjoyable!  I probably enjoy the taste of wine now more than before my WLS - I have a friend who says the same thing.  I get pretty tipsy with 1/2 glass, for about 10 minutes and then it's 100% over.  or it feels over - because of the different reaction - I would be concerned about driving for a good long while after drinking it.  I've not tried any other alcoholic drink to see if I react the same way.

MSROMAGNOLA
Radiogirl39
on 6/19/11 9:45 am - Canada
Ok, thanks.  I'm glad about the garlic.  Definately going to have an issue with the alcohol. I also can't believe that 1/2 glass of wine a few times a week could slow the loss when food calories are so drastically reduced. That really sucks. Just feeling a little sorry for myself today. Gave up smokes, gonna give up food for the most part, give up alcohol.  So what's left? I know they are just crutches for getting thru the day and finding enjoyment in life.  Hoping I won't need them after a while....
Sasrah1972
on 6/19/11 10:25 am - NY
I've been eating garlic powder, cumin, pepper and more since about a week post op. No problems at all. Enjoy!
sheda6584
on 6/19/11 3:46 pm
i love spicy and garlicy food and its ok with me the only thing that i have a problem with is greasy foods. i can drink wine or other mixed drinks but its One and Done lol... it doesnt take much for me to feel good anymore. and if i have like 2 or 3 i end up falling asleep so then its no fun and a waste of having a good time lol...

but i eat everything spicy. love pepper and hot stuff and i use garlic in just about EVERYTHING that i cook lol i think i like garlic more now then i did before i had the surgery lol...

the dr said a glass of red wine here and there is just fine. there are people who cant drink it because it causes them to dump.. :(
Radiogirl39
on 6/19/11 10:38 pm - Canada
Ok, thanks a lot.  I crush fresh garlic into almost everything so that is awesome news.  Hoping the wine issue becomes less of a concern.  I've heard of ppl getting intoxicated very quickly and some even trading in the eating for an alcohol addiction, so will have to keep that in mind I guess.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 286 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views