Too Soon for plastics????????????

afrog777
on 6/22/11 11:09 am - Houston, TX
Hi I am just wondering when is too soon for plastics? My arms are so bad and they really bother me so I am almost a year out wondering if its ok to start looking for a surgeon?

lovinme4ever
on 6/22/11 11:21 am
I do not think it is a matter of being too soon. I think it is a matter of stabilizing weight loss and no longer losing before you can have plastics. That is how my doctors office works any way.
Lovinme4ever    
Dave Chambers
on 6/22/11 11:51 am - Mira Loma, CA

I've heard at least 3 plastic surgeons speak at my support groups. Normal recommendations are to have a stable wt for at least 6 months and be at least 18 months post op. There have been a couple of patients in these same groups who talked the doc into doing it early, and ended up back with a tune up procedure to fix the area where addiditional wt was lost.  One woman lost all of her wt during the first 6 months, and ended up having plastics at 1 year, so she had a stable wt loss for 6 months but had not yet reached her 18 month post op time frame.  I guess you can look for a surgeon, but he may have the same recommendations.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Laura in Texas
on 6/22/11 11:55 am
I had my arms done at 15 months post-rny. My arms were hideous and I figured even if I gained or lost a little, my arms would not change much regardless. I waited for my torso work because I do think it makes a big difference if you gain or lose after that is done. I'm almost 3 years out now and am having my lbl/bl next week.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

afrog777
on 6/22/11 12:07 pm - Houston, TX
Hey Laura I was hopeing you would respond to this your arms look great and I want to maybe use the surgeon you used. I dont care about my stomach or anything else only my arms because everyone can see them

Laura in Texas
on 6/22/11 12:54 pm
Sent you a PM.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MSW will not settle
on 6/22/11 12:10 pm
The surgeon I've spoken with stated he and his associates want 12-18 months of a stable weight at or very near goal.  My insurance has the same guideline for covered procedures following large weight loss.  Of course many doctors will operate sooner but who knows what the long term result will be if there is more weight loss and or repeated ups and downs. 

The folks on the plasics forum could likely give you a detailed answer.    Many have really done their homework and are glad to share the knowledge. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

cajungirl
on 6/22/11 1:19 pm
Don't push to have it done too soon. Definitely want your weight stable for 6 months as moat surgeons recommend (IMO stable 1 yr).

I had my plastics 2 years, 2 months post-op. I'm not displeased with results but I can definitely see changes since I've lost more weight. Sorta sad to think of the money I spent and now I could use some touch ups everywhere I had plastics. And I haven't touched these melted candle thighs and hanging butt.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com