There is no way this is normal.

Savage_Beast
on 6/26/11 2:22 am
I know we all get tired of the "stall" questions but I'm starting to freak out. My surgery was 03/21/11 so I am a few days over 3 months out.

I had the typical stall during weeks 3-4 then weight loss picked up again. Now I haven't lost a single pound for 7 weeks straight. I've searched the internet and this site for info about this but haven't come across any.

This means that of the time since surgery, I've been in a "stall" for 9 out of 14 weks. There's no way this is normal. Am I going to be a freak that loses 50 lbs and that's it??

_Donna_
on 6/26/11 2:27 am
Start logging what you eat and drink and your exercise routine. Do this for a week and then review what you need to work on.
I bet the reason is in your diet.

RNY 5-5-2011

siberiancat
on 6/26/11 2:39 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I asume you keep a food log.  Post a days worth and let us evaluate it for you,  Maybe we can help.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Kathleen W.
on 6/26/11 4:05 am - Lancaster, PA
Also, check your measurements.  There are times when you might not lose on the scale but your losing inches.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Lady Lithia
on 6/26/11 6:13 am
I would say that in the first 52 weeks of weight loss (first year) I lost weight 24 of those weeks (less than half the time)

I started at 293, which puts me very similar to you. I had lost exactly 50 pounds by my 3 month mark.

How is your liquid intake?

Track what you put in your mouth, track your exercise and liquids and everything, and if you continue to flatline for another four to six weeks, contact your surgeon and/or nutritionist and see what they say. Have you had your thyroid checked? There could be other things at work here keeping you from losing.

Good luck!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Savage_Beast
on 6/26/11 6:24 am
I haven't kept track of food or liquid intake on paper since I started. I also haven't measured before or after so I have no baseline. I was going to be "laid back" about it and not fret over every lb or inch...except that now I am!

I will definitely start tracking all intake :) I also started to "seriously" exercise 2 wks ago and have walked 1.3 miles 3x wk since then. I did notice on Friday that I could run up the stairs at work without falling over  so that was a nice little victory.

And on the bright side, I'm stalled at a size 22 which is a size I have a lot of, so that has worked out well.

Lady Lithia, your comment made me feel a lot better-- it's comforting to know I am not the only one. Did you ultimately reach your goal? Did you find that despite your stalls you still ended up losing a similar amount of weight as most others at one year?
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/26/11 6:34 am - Belleville, IL
It is VERY common for people to hit the famous "6 month plateau" (Which can hit anywhere from month 5 to month 8). Some people like myself went the whole way losing in dribs and drabs.

A pound or two here, then 2-3 weeks of NO loss, then another pound or two and so on...Think of a staircase... Stepping DOWN in losing a pound or two, then you hit the plateu (the flat part) and so on.

That is the NORMAL way of losing...How most of us lose. Very few people just "lose continuosly".

How ever measurements are VERY important...When your weight is not moving, your body is re-arranging itself, losing inches here and there, tightening up, etc...All my drops in clothing sizes occured when my weight was NOT moving on the scale.

As to eating...YES! As newly post op as you are you MUST be viligent about what you eat because you NEED to get 70-90 grams of protein per DAY... You MUST keep your calories under 1200 grams (or less), you must measure your water intake, and your carb intake and sodium intake (Carbs at the BEGINNING first year, should be under 20 grams per MEAL)

Until you can eyeball and measure accurately with your eyes shut you NEED to measure your food and keep track of what you eat...Many of us don't feel "full" or sated...Many of us over or under estimate the amount we eat, or don't even KNOW how many cals or protein grams we are eating.

WLS is WORK girl! it is not the easy way out and we need to be very vigilant in what we are doing.
Keep a food log. Use a site like fitday.com or Sparkpeople.com and SEE what you are consuming per day....too LITTLE calories and/or Protein will cause stalls as well as too much.

Good luck.
Warmly,
Jackie

murdockt
on 6/26/11 6:34 am - Redmond, OR
Go to top of page and locate the search box. Type in stall or stalls and push search. A ton of info should come up. I had surgery on March 17th. I have lost 46 lbs. since surgery plus 13 before surgery for a total of 59lbs. I had a seven week stall and I haven't lost anything for the past week. I have resolved to just be satisfied with what I lose. I track my food and stay to the program with protein and fluids. In the beginning after surgery, I wasn't eating enough. I upped my food and protein and started to lose. I also believe that 55 years of yo-yo dieting screwed up my metabolism! Rose
walterswife
on 6/26/11 8:38 am
Everyone is different so I would not be concerned about it.  It happens to many of us.  You have already gotten some great suggestions....So track and  post and see what happens.  Remember this---patience is the key.

BTW, congratulations on your weight loss this far.  Keep up the good work!

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 84 views