Revision question: AGB to RNY?

Dorathea
on 6/28/11 6:53 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
 Just curious if anyone has had a revision from an AGB to an RNY?  I am in the process of switching to the RNY because I've had my AGB for 2 years and I still pretty much weigh the same.  Despite doing everything I've been told to do.    The tough part for me is convincing my family and PCP that this is the right thing for me.  Luckily one of the girls I work with had the RNY a few years back and she is totally supportive.  Keeps telling she always thought I made a mistake in getting the AGB.  Go figure.  Would have been nice if she'd told me this 2 years ago.  LOL!  Oh well!  TIA for any advice and help.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

LoriLH
on 6/28/11 7:09 am - MI
Hi! 

I had revision fromLlap-band (May 2008)  to RNY (June 2010).   I experienced chronic reflux/heartburn from the beginning, only lost 60# the first year.  And that was VERY difficult...hours of exercising.  Many fills and unfills.  The Nurse and surgeon both recommended a revision.  After fulfiling the insurance requirements, just paperwork.  I was approved for revision.

Since my revision to RNY...NO reflux/heartburn!!!  
I personally wanted to get the sleeve, but my insurance would not pay for it at that time (now they do).     I think it would be a good idea to research both options - RNY and the Sleeve.  

Good luck!

Lori

Dorathea
on 6/28/11 7:43 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
 I understand what you mean.  I got a personal trainer (an extra $200 a month that I didn't have, but managed to scrape up) and I gained weight despite being tortured 3 times a week, plus an additional 2 days at the gym on my own.  My insurance pays for the sleeve, but only if your BMI is greater than 50.  Lucklily, my BMI is not that high, but I'm still morbidly obese at 45.5.  Most people don't believe me when I tell them how much I weigh.  I carry the weight well.  Whatever the heck that is supposed to mean?!  I've definitely been doing my research and am following all of the steps that are recommended by my surgeon's office.  I've even gotten signed up for another informational session.  I'm going to a support group meeting this weekend.  I've even started taking some of the vitamins listed.  I still have to pick up some because I forgot my list.  LOL!  Thanks again for the advice.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

terilynn112
on 6/28/11 7:58 am - maryland, NY
I'm also a band to bypass revision. There are many of us. I went into my band at 243, and lost it at 260, had my bypass same day, and now 5 1/2 months later am at 189. It's been so much easier than the band even open to eat. I had horrible heartburn, even ended up with Barrett's esophagus. Which 3 months post op, had an egd, and it's gone already! What an amazing reaction my body has had with the bypass. No more sugar, boarderline high blood pressure, no more sleep apnea. I feel great and am learning I look great. I am forever grateful to my surgeon and the team for this chance. A second chance.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

cnelson62
on 6/28/11 8:00 am - TX
I am scheduled for the revision surgery from lapband to RNY on July 11th.  I am almost exactly 2 years out from my lapband surgery and only lost 50lbs.  The fills were not bad at first but here near the end they have become painful.  I became fed up w/the physician that did my lapband surgery so went to new dr. and he found that my band is not in the right spot!  Now I know why I was never able to get to the green zone and it is sitting right at the bottom of my esophogus.  If it would have been filled to much it would have made all the food stay in the esophogus and stretched it out.  It was a blessing that I changed physicians when I did.  I am excited that I am having it removed and going to the RNY.  I know I will see better results!!!  Keep us posted on your decision and I will look for updated posts on OH.
Stacey-71
on 6/28/11 8:09 am - OH
I too had a RNY revision from the band, (2008) and have done really well with RNY. I originally wanted VSG, but my surgeon advised me to go with RNY. I had the same surgeon who placed my band back in 2008 and she did my RNY on 05/23/11. My surgeon is the one who suggested I needed to revise after 2 slips and no weight loss after the 1st slip only 7 mns out from original surgery. She had me approved in less than 2 weeks for my revision. RNY has been so easy compared to living with the band. It was a GREAT decision for me!
Good Luck!

cnelson62
on 6/28/11 8:22 am - TX
Stacy,

So glad to hear how easy it is compared to the band!  I am sure though that all surgeries are different but I am keeping a very positive attitude.  I think there are more of us out there that have had revisions than what we think.  I know my dr. doesn't really recommend the band anymore even though he will do it if that is really what you want.  I am very excited about my decision to go from the band to RNY.  I have already started my vitamins and started experimenting w/protein drinks to hopefully get a jump ahead.  Thanks for the encouragement!
Dorathea
on 6/28/11 8:25 am - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
 Thanks everyone!  I am so glad that I am not the only person that has or is having problems with the AGB.  I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 60 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 58 replies · 245 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 509 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 580 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 305 views
Recent Topics