Do you know of anyone who died from his?

Weighting2Bskinny
on 6/28/11 1:10 am
I really want this surgery. BAD. Has anyone ever known someone to die from it? It is scaring me that I might actually DIE from this surgery. I guess you could die from any surgery though, right?  I dont know, I am just scared. I have knots in my stomach because I dont know what will happen. I am 100 % sure I want this surgery...just a little scared is all.
Carrie W.
on 6/28/11 1:15 am - KY
It's completely understandable to be scared! I don't personally know of anybody who has died from the surgery. ANY surgery is a risk. Take care and good luck with your decision.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

hkailey
on 6/28/11 1:15 am
No one is ever guaranteed tomorrow.  There are risks with any surgery.  If you haven't read up on it, do so.  You will see the mortality rate is low.  And in some cases, it is not from the surgery itself....It is from other existing factors.  Research your surgeon....ask how many of these types of surgery they have done....how many deaths related directly to the surgery.  It may help ease your worries.  Good luck.....It is the absolute best thing I could have done for myself:) 

lynnc99
on 6/28/11 1:22 am
Fear is normal when surgery is involved. ANY surgery! (Last summer I had an arthroscopy on my knee and was trying to talk myself into getting up off the table in the pre op area....!)

I wish I had kept a research link I found on this topic, and will try to find it again. The bottom line is that the mortality rate for rny is low. Mortality was defined as deaths within one year of surgery - whether attributable to surgically related complications or any other reason - they are often reported as the % of patients who die within a year (for any reason). So statistics have to be looked at carefully to see exactly what they are reporting.

Above all, talk to your doctor about complications and mortality. Has he/she ever lost a patient? What % of his/her surgeries are open vs. laparascopic (open has higher risks and patients often have more comorbidities going into the procedure). What does he/she see as the primary risk factors for complications? What complicatons are seen most frequently?

And yes, the truth is that the risk of NOT moving ahead can be very high indeed. If we live with high cholesterol, hypertension, sleep apnea, and other issues, our health, well being, and overall life span is very much compromised.

I encouragae you to ask LOTS of questions - your relationship with your surgeon is very important, and don't hesitate to ask and ask and ask!!!
Zombie
on 6/28/11 1:24 am
Here are some stats that should put you at ease. I was told by my surgeon that yes, there is a risk of death, as there is in ANY type of surgery. But...the risk of serious complications up to and including death is 1%. There would have to be something seriously wrong with you for this to happen, do you have a history of drug use, alcoholism, stuff like that? I would'nt worry about it.

If I could do it all again, I would in a heartbeat. I know personally a few people who have done the surgery and all turned out fine. Don't let that scare you into a better quality of life. I waited too long to do it and my only regret is that. I hope you do it, and you will have plenty of support here when you need it.

~Paul~

Weighting2Bskinny
on 6/28/11 1:28 am
Thanks Paul! I feel uplifted and less afraid now becaue of everyones comments. I will be fine. I know I will. God is on my side and thats all I need.
tydephan
on 6/28/11 1:30 am, edited 6/28/11 1:31 am
My surgeon quoted roughly the same statistics. If I recall correctly, he said 3% chance of complications and a 1% risk of fatal complications.

I agree with Zombie, even though I'm not as far out as he is. My only regret is not having it sooner.

For me, the decision was an easy one once I became more fearful of dying due to heart disease related to Super-Morbid Obesity than the surgery itself.

brwneyz
on 6/28/11 1:28 am

I asked my surgeon how many of her patients had died from this (she has been doing this for 10 years).  She told me she had 1 patient die, but it was from complications she didn't know the woman had.  The woman slipped into a coma after having blood clots right after surgery (she wasn't healing properly).  Right before the woman died her family came to the hospital and asked if my surgeon knew about her blood disorder...and she didn't.  She said that if she had known about the blood condition she wouldn't have done the surgery.
Any surgery is risky...but if I was going to die from this, I was going to die FIGHTING for a better me. 

Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

_Donna_
on 6/28/11 1:31 am
I don't know anyone that died during surgery, but I knew a lady very well that died years later because she was non compliant with the diet and her organs just couldn't take it any more.

Do what you are supposed to do and everything will be great.

RNY 5-5-2011

Bill B.
on 6/28/11 1:35 am - NJ
The test that they run and all that they put you through is very thorough so it is actually quite safe. If you get a clean bill of health than I am sure you will have nothing to worry about. I had my surgery at 384 #'s and it went fantastic. Still the same I was sure to do silly things like clean my truck out and be sure to talk to my close friends and family in the week before.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 378 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 197 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 221 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 124 views
Recent Topics