Sleep study...

Celia S.
on 6/30/11 2:42 am - Grand Junction, CO
So the hospital just called me to schedule my sleep study to observe for sleep apnea. I'm one step closer to my surgery :)

Not really nervous about it, but looking to hear about your experiences with your sleep study (if you had to have one) what you would suggest taking with me to the hospital that night, etc.

The pulomonologist said that I'll need to be on a CPAP machine at night for 4 weeks before I can have my surgery, so I'm glad the study was scheduled so soon!

After this, all I have to do is my NUT consult and finish up my 3 month diet for insurance and then pay off my previous hospital balance... I'm nearing the end of all the pre-op stuff and I'm so excited!

hellokitty21
on 6/30/11 3:02 am
Hi!

I just had my sleep study last night, although I did not have it at the hospital. I know they asked me to make sure that I took a shower before hand and did not put make-up or hair products on because they put sensors on your face and in your hair, as well as two bands around your stomach, two sensors below your collarbone, and two on your calf muscles. You also have to sleep with a nasal cannula that measures your breathing in your nose. This was the worst part for me because those make me claustrophobic lol!

I was a little embarassed because the tech that did mine was a really cute guy, but he put me totally at ease and was super nice.

As far as what to bring, I would just bring pj's, a change of clothes, and your toiletries for the next day!

It's really a pretty simple procedure..I hope everything goes well for you=)
MissTootsie
on 6/30/11 3:06 am - MA
Congratulations on getting closer to your surgery! 

I had to have two sleep tests.  The first one was to see if I had sleep apnea, so the nurse wired me all up.  I suggest wearing PJ's (top and bottoms) as it's easier for them to wire you-LOL!  You also might want to bring your own pillow(s) just to feel more at home.

Had I gotten through the first test without being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I wouldn't have had to have the second one.  Any hooooo, my second test was the same, wired up, but then they put me on the CPAP machine.  I ended up having to get a machine.  It was very helpful that they sent someone to my house to show me how to use it and I was on it about a month before surgery.

With all the tests I had to go through before surgery, I found this one not so bad at all!  In fact, the nurse who did my tests also had WLS and she lost 175 pounds!  It was great to talk to her and ask questions; she was such an inspiration to me! 

You will do fine with the sleep test, it was a cinch!    I wish you the best!
"You must do the things you think you cannot do."  Eleanor Roosevelt   

Celia S.
on 6/30/11 3:15 am - Grand Junction, CO
I already have a diagnosis with sleep apnea because my *stupid* husband went and told the pulmonologist that he's witnessed me stop breathing while I'm sleeping, so this study is just to observe and define my sleep apnea as mild, moderate, or severe.
shoven21187
on 6/30/11 3:50 am - Saint Paul, MN
 I know that you dont like that your hubby opened his mouth, haha but it could be very dangerous if you have it and werent on a machine after surgery. I know a woman who died recently for that very reason. Her doc didnt make her test, she had the surgery, and just didnt wake up her second day in the hospital. It was very sad and unexpected, so dont dodge the sleep study!

I hated mine! lol They told me to bring stuff to shower and what not but honestly- I hated it so bad that I was up AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and out of there on my way home before the sun came up. I couldnt stand all the wires and it was hot and the girl that observed me was "not all there" if you know what I mean. So I was irritated the entire time. I slept maybe 4 hours? Which technically wasnt enough but I never had any signs of apnea so they let me go. Plus, the sticky things kept falling off because the lady literally scrubbed my skin off so they wouldnt stick. I have two scars on my forehead from that crazy lady and her "exfoliant". BS! Can you tell Im still bitter? haha But I had a bad experience which seems opposite from most people I talk to so I really wouldnt worry about it. :-)

Celia S.
on 6/30/11 4:29 am - Grand Junction, CO
I was meaning *stupid* hubby in a joking/sarcastic manner. I know it can be a dangerous situation if I go into surgery with untreated sleep apnea.

It's just... I don't think I have it. But when it happens, I'm sleeping, so who am I to say, I guess. lol

Sorry you had such a bad experience with it. I hope mine is okay. I can already forsee me having problems sleeping without my hubby next to me, let alone with all the wires stuck to me.

immafatgirl
on 6/30/11 4:35 am - KY
of course im a simple girl. i showered an hour before i arrived. i took my toothbrush and paste . and a hairbrush . thats it ... i put on clean p.js and also wore them home. they let me get up and get ready at 6 am. so i was way to tired to change. lol... u r in a nice room. i felt like i was on vacation. u can take snacks and they give u drinks.. i just kicked back and watched t.v. until they gave me some ambian because i dont sleep well away from home. but its really a comfortable stay . just cant roll around alot with wires taped all over .
sunnymicki
on 6/30/11 7:30 am
Thanks for asking this question!  It was one of mine too.  I am going to my PCP tomorrow to get a physical/labs drawn/weighed etc for insurance documentation and start the medically superivsed diet, in case my insurance wants it.  And I am going to request a referral for a sleep study as well.  Partially because my surgeon's office said they would want me to have one eventually and partly because I know I snore, and I have finally faced the fact that I am not doing myself any favors by not knowing the truth about my health.

My DH says I don't do the sleep apnea pattern snoring, but I don't really trust him to pay that much attention to it honestly!  At this point, I just want to know the answer and get it fixed if needed. 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 378 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 197 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 221 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 124 views
Recent Topics