Worried pls HELP!! (transfer addiction)

danigirl62000
on 7/6/11 5:53 pm
I would really like to talk with someone about my issue. I am a little over 3 months out and I decided to have a cigarette at a social gathering. I know it was because I could not drink the alcohol and I could not eat all the wonderful buffet of food there, so I asked my bro for a cig. Well one thing led to another and I have been smoking 5 a day. I know how bad the complications are and I do not want to end up in the ER so if any of you had a similar problem pls talk with me.
 Let Go and Let GOD!!     
jl3kg
on 7/6/11 8:40 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
I have been smoking for a while now too...... It's so hard to quit!!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/6/11 8:46 pm - OH
The biggest problem with smoking post-op is that it retards healing.  At 3 months out, you are NOT going to end up in the ER because of smoking "complications".  Instead of worrying needlessly about that, use that energy to find things to do other than smoking because the longer you smoke the harder it will be to quit.  If you started smoking because you could not eat or drink, and are up to 5 a day already, it sounds as if addictions in general might be an issue for you, and I think counseling would probably be a good idea to maximize your chances for long-term success without developing transfer addictions.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

curvaceousdiva
on 7/6/11 8:55 pm - Hyattsville, MD
I too have started smoking black N milds occasionally as well... specially when upset or stressed...
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Dave Chambers
on 7/7/11 12:05 am - Mira Loma, CA
Cross addiction is normally a new habit, to make up for not eating food and loosing wt.  BUT, that said, returning to the old bad habit of smoking, that you had to quit before surgery, is not a very wise thing to do.  I have two friends in one of the 3 support groups I attend. They both had to stop smoking prior to surgery. They both returned to surgery.  One was a male about 50, and he's had 2 surgeries at around 15 months post op, caused by ulcers--CAUSED by smoking again.  He's having a rough time two. Example 2 is a 23 year old female. She lost wt rapidly, and returned to smoking, initially only in social gatherings with friends.  She had to go into the hosptial due to an ulcer from the smoking, and ended up on a PIC line for about 10 days. She came out of the hospital for several weeks. I spoke to her dad about 3 weeks ago.  She has gone back to smoking for a while, but has not since stopped again due to her current issues. The doctor has found 6 bleeding ulcers that will not heal. She has had these bleeding ulcers cauterized some 3 times and still has issues. Her father has changed insurance carriers in hoping to find other opinions to help resolve her ulcer issues.  SMOKING IS THE REASON for both of these emergency surgery repairs.  It's highly likely you'll end up back in the hospital for ulcer repairs in the not too distant future.  Get counseling, get medical help to stop smoking, anthing to resolve the problem now.  If you attend almost any post op support group, one of the topics commonly stressed is NOT TO SMOKE post op, as the end result may be lifelong issues. You decided surgery was a solution to health and obesity issues.  Smoking only complicates your life, possibly forever.  I stopped smoking in 1991.  I had tried several times, and I finally went to a hypnotist to stop smoking--the current "stop smoking drugs" were not yet available at that time..DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

danigirl62000
on 7/7/11 4:41 am
Thank you for sharing. I do go to a support group, but I am a little embarrassed to bring up this topic. I think counseling is the way to go for me. Thanks again and congrats on all your health achievements.
 Let Go and Let GOD!!     
Dave Chambers
on 7/7/11 4:53 am - Mira Loma, CA
Support groups are not there for emabarrasment. Many women speak about the topic of BM's, far more embarrassing then the topic of stopping smoking. Whatever route you choose, start today. The longer you're smoking, it's likely you're doing additional damage to your body.  Smoking has a very high incidence of ulcer surgeries post op.  It not only retards healing, but the carniciges in the smoke irritate tissue.  At the support groups attend, we discuss a wide variety of topics that include intimacy, messy stool issues, bathroom habits of large people, etc.  It doesn't hurt to ask at the meeting, you find a viable solution that would work for you. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics