3 month checkup

fickleme
on 7/7/11 4:07 am - Bessemer City, NC
I had my 3 month checkup yesterday afternoon... I have lost 52 pounds since surgery date (4/6) and 65 since consult (2/17)... I now weigh 204... Just 5 pounds from Onederland... I am proud of my loss... all my labs were within range except for the ferrion(sp)... my iron was low going into the surgery but right now its a 15... no wonder I have NO energy... but I blame myself I don't take my iron supplements everyday because of the constipation... but I am changing that... I will take them every night from now on because I am tired of losing weight and still have no energy... my question to you all is other than getting my iron up(most important) are there any other ways to increase energy levels?... Thanks in advance :)
steve D.
on 7/7/11 4:54 am - West Fargo, ND
Why not change the type of iron supplement you take?  There are some that have less of an impact (no pun intented).  I use a carbonyl iron that I get at Wal Mart.  I know there are others also.  You can also add other things to your diet to help with constipation.

I use ground flax seed when I need a boost.  I also use Mirilax occasionally.

Good Luck

Steve

poet_kelly
on 7/7/11 5:17 am - OH
What kind of iron do you take?  Ferrous sulfate is notorious for stopping you up, but carbonyl hardly ever does that.  Plus, we actually absorb it better.  But add a stool softener or a fiber supplement if you need to.  And make sure you drink a ton of fluids.

What was your B12 level?  Below 550, people usually get tired and depressed but most labs say it's "in the normal range" from something like 211-911, which is ridiculous.

Are you getting enough protein?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fickleme
on 7/7/11 5:27 am - Bessemer City, NC
Thanks Steve... I may sound stupid by saying this but I don't know what ground flax seed is... is it a vitamin? or powder?

Thanks Kelly... I just started the Bifera(sp)... I think it was you, Kelly, that suggested it... I hope it does better but I don't really know the dosage I need to take... I know the one my doctor gave me was FSuffate(sp) 65mg... I do get plenty of protein 70-80g daily... I was told to increase my fiber to 25g daily... woah still working on that... I do not know the exact number for my B12 he just said it was within range... I am going to call and request a copy of my labs though... any suggestion on B12 dosage that will help with my energy level... I take a B12 sublingual 400mg twice a day and 2 droppers of B Complex once daily
poet_kelly
on 7/7/11 6:15 am - OH
Without knowing your B12 level, it's hard to suggest an appropriate dose.  We definitely need it above 550 to avoid getting tired and depressed, but around 900-1000 is ideal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fickleme
on 7/7/11 6:17 am - Bessemer City, NC
Okay thanks... once I recieve my copy of the results I will message you if thats okay with you... :)
hellokitty21
on 7/7/11 8:03 am
Steve, do you mind telling me the name of the iron you use? I have been trying to find a carbonyl iron and have had no luck. Thanks!
azreggie
on 7/7/11 9:25 am - Tucson, AZ
I use Feosol carbonyl iron and I get it at Walmart.

Reggie

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 346 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 226 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views