Exercise 2 months out? Just starting...

Sasrah1972
on 7/10/11 4:53 am - NY
So I'm ready to get serious about exercising. I've been walking a LOT, swimming occasionally (not for exercise but to cool down mostly).

Please help me set up a plan! I'm interested in both cardio and weight training. What should I do?
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

stacey1000
on 7/10/11 5:06 am - Hillsboro, IL
You should consult with a physical therapist or a personl trainer.  They can give u specific recommendations.
lynnc99
on 7/10/11 5:10 am
I started with walking, and then went to some water aerobics. If you like the water that is a great starting point - no impact on the joints, balanced with a good amount of resistance. Check to see if your community pool, rec center, or a gym offers water aerobics classes.

Once I felt more capable and had lost some weight, I began doing studio aerobics, jazzercise, and working with a trainer. The key is to find something you enjoy and will keep doing!
julieadam1997
on 7/10/11 7:29 am - KS
I have been walking since 2 weeks out on a treadmill.  Once I was cleared at 6 weeks, I started getting serious about working out.  Now at 11 weeks I have a pretty decent routine:  3 days/week of intense cardio (Zumba is usually one of those days); 2 days with a personal trainer-day one is arms/back/core and day two is legs, butt, and hips...the 6th day I do a mix of cardio and weights.  The more I do it the more I want to do it.  Exercise is soooo worth it!  If you have a YMCA or other gym near you, they will usually guide your or even have trainers you can work with individually.

Daisy629
on 7/10/11 11:49 am - TN

If you're anything like me, I joined the gym, but had no idea what I was doing.  I got a trainer ($200 for 8 sessions) and had a routine made just for me.  I am not released to do abs yet, but we'll see what MD says tomorrow.  I "range walked"  with my husband around the 2 mile track at our local lake (range walking is tougher than a light jog).  I try to get cardio in everyday and work with free weights, cables and machines 3 times a week.