Cant walk without my

prettyinpink766
on 7/12/11 3:22 pm - Detroit, MI
Binder?? Why, why can anyone tell me why my stomtch starts to feel like someone is tugging on my stomatch when i start walking. Im not losing anymore weight, but pass that, i cant walk and still have to take pain meds. Is this normal? Anyone else still wearing their binder? Please let me know. Thanks

Mia H.
on 7/12/11 8:31 pm - OH
 I quit wearing my binder about a week and a half ago.  It's too hot and it felt like it was tugging on my gastric tube.  It took me a day or so to get used to it, but I do find it more comfortable without it.  I walk, but I get tired and sore after 10 mins.  So I just do 10 mins at a time.  I walk 10 mins in the morning, then a couple hours later 10 more mins, etc.  I try to get in at least 30 mins a day.  

Carol M.
on 7/13/11 12:21 am - TX
Mia,

Just curious....you mentioned a gastric tube.  Was this a drain or an actual gastric tube used for taking in nourishment?
Carol , East Texas
Mia H.
on 7/14/11 3:10 am - OH
 It's at tube that I can add water and protein in.  It goes into my old stomach.  I was suppose to have it taken out at 2 weeks, but the doctor kept it in because I'm not getting my liquids.  I'm doing much better with the liquids (not quite there to 64 ozs.)  I go back next week and hopefully she'll take it out. 

jhxyooj1
on 7/12/11 11:58 pm
 What's a Binder? I am a week out and this is new to me.

Mia H.
on 7/14/11 3:13 am - OH
 It's a wrap that goes around your abdomen.  The hospital gave me one when I went home.  The first week, it really helped.  I had an open RNY and everytime I moved without it, I really felt like I was tearing my incision.  It just helped comfort me and felt more secure.  However, as I healed it was more troublesome and just got in the way of my bra, etc.  I now go without it. 

Carol M.
on 7/13/11 12:19 am - TX
My surgeon did not have us use binders. Using one, im my opinion, does not allow the stomach muscles to recover as quickly.  Thus, the pain and feeling you are experiencing now. Those muscles have to work to get stronger. And remember you are only a short way out from surgery.  We don't realize how much trauma our bodies had from surgery. As for walking, everybody is different in what they can do after surgery.  Be patient with yourself.  Just get up and walk around the house for a few minutes. Maybe rather than wearing the binder, hold a small pillow tight against your stomach when you get up and walk. It seemed to help with the pain and supported the muscles still allowing them to work. Add a couple of minutes the next time you get up. The more  you move the more quickly you will start to feel better.  And, don't forget you can take some pain med or Tylenol before walking and that too will help the pain.   It does get better over time.
Carol , East Texas
Most Active