Chewable or Not Vitamin Question

Kat Kat
on 7/12/11 8:11 pm - AZ
I have been able to swallow pills (big ones) since week one without problem (I'm at 3 months post op now), so I am wondering, do the mutilvitamins have to be chewable or can I take regular centrum silver with my morning shake?

chrisgraves
on 7/12/11 9:17 pm - MA
Each program is different.  My doc/plan has you using Chewable vitamins for life.  People in my support groups use BA, Centrum (reg or silver) and stuff from Vita lady.  It all kind of depends on their tastes, age and needs are.

Just keep up with your lab work and make changes to your vit regiment as needed with your doc or nutritions approval/input.

5'6.5"  HW: 310 / SW:279.6  /GW:150               
italianspice
on 7/12/11 9:45 pm - Eastlake, OH
I like to use both. Some days the chewables gag me and some days the capsules dont seem to want to go down.

I also use celebrate citrus splash, which is a drink with vitamins and calcium.

I say use what works for you, and  what you will take everyday.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Dave Chambers
on 7/12/11 11:01 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Whichever form of vitamins you opt for, you need to take them daily. Chewables, pilled, or liquids work ok, once your past 8 weeks or so. Many surgeons recommend chewables or liquids for the first 8-12 weeks post op.  You just need to figure out how you can remember to take them daily, as you likely did not take daily supplements prior to surgery. This tends to be a challenge for many. I spoke to a woman at a support group last night about remembering to take her vitamins. Her surgeon recommended she wrap some rubber bands around her toothbrush, so she would notice the rubber bands as a reminder for the vitamins.  Posted notes on your bathroom mirror, or a note on your fridge, held up by a magnet, would be fine too. Just any method you can use to remind you of your post op need for daily vitamins.  A pill container in your purse may not be a bad idea either. If you leave the house, without taking your vitamins, you would likely see the pill container as a reminder, and have your vitamins with you. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 7/13/11 12:26 am - OH
The ASMBS says we can swallow vitamins whenever we tolerate swallowing pills well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 7/13/11 2:15 am - AZ
Thanks for the responses and advice...I really appreciate that you took the time to respond! My Nut had me on Flintstones for a while, so I depend on what I read here to ensure I'm on the right track. I see "chewable" on the forum so often that I was wondering if they had to be chewed for some reason I wasnt aware of.  I'm good about taking my vitamins and suppliments, so that's been easy. I just add them to my morning pill box and set my cell phone alarm for the rest.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 315 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views