8 yrs post RNY ... GERD???

Pupcake !.
on 7/14/11 2:07 am - Stranded in, IA
I don't know if this is GERD or not as I've never had trouble before.

I wake in the middle of the night choking on stomach acid.  It hurts so much in my throat, burning,  it feels like it is right at the juncture of the esophagus and the trachea.  I cough and cough, get up and chew an antacid.  It feels better in a little but but I can still feel the burn.

If it is GERD what do I do.  How do I have that much stomach acid?  If I take a PPI (like prilosec) does that work on us?

Do I need to see a doc or can I self treat?

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

NHPOD9
on 7/14/11 2:25 am
Your description does sound like GERD.  I have horrible attacks if I eat before bed, so I have to make sure not to eat anything a good 2-3 hours prior.  On the nights that you have had these attacks, had you eaten right before going to sleep?  
Pupcake !.
on 7/14/11 2:35 am - Stranded in, IA
I do eat before bed- it's my downfall.

I'll try not to eat and see if that helps.  It sounds like PPI's decrease vitamin absorption even more and I don't need that!

Pup

Thanks!

dasie
on 7/14/11 3:31 am
You described my pre op GERD to a T.  Mine was so bad it would take my breath away from the horrible burning in my throat.  My PCP was concerned I would aspirate into my lungs.  What I did not know until my surgeon performed my pre-op endoscopy was I had a "large" (his words) hernia.  He told me when he was performing my RNY he would repair the hernia and that would solve the problem.  It did.  I say all the time...of course the weight loss and health was the the goal, but just having the GERD resolved was worth the surgery..  I wonder if you could have developed a hernia.  I have no idea, but I know how horrible it is.  Prior to surgery I began taking over-the-counter Pepcid prior to eating.  Also, it was imperative I did not eat late.  My last episode prior to surgery caused the acid reflux to come up with such force it made me vomit all over my floor.  I know too much info.  Once the hernia was repaired, I have not had one single hint of GERD.  You might want to call your surgeon or schedule with a gastroenterologist.  I would start with my surgeon, though.

Pupcake !.
on 7/14/11 4:30 am - Stranded in, IA
Thank you,

I was wondering if I have developed a hiatal hernia since it started a month ago and I never had any problems before.  I keep thinking I'm aspirating as I HAVE to cough and I can feel the acid right at the juncture of the trachea.

Pup

dasie
on 7/14/11 4:38 am
I hope you find out what is wrong.  Please let me know.

Kristi D.
on 7/14/11 7:39 am - Buffalo, NY
Yep, that sounds like my pre-op GERD experiences also.  I was taking prilosec 2x/day.  Now post-op, I have developed an ulcer so I am back on prilosec and carafate.  I would see your surgeon for suggestions.  You can try OTC PPI's, but pre-op those didn't even work for me anymore when it got that bad.

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140