Lunch ideas

Anna M.
on 7/16/11 8:09 pm - Manchester, NH
I am looking for lunch ideas. Normally I have deli meat roll ups about 3oz of meat and/or cheese but my plan calls for 3oz protien and 1/2 cup of veg or 1/4 cup veg 1/4 cup starch. I am bored with salad veggies already but still happy with the deli meats. Anyone have any good ideas for my "sides" for lunch?

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 8:51 pm - NY
How about spagetti squash? You can have that with tomato sauce or I've even had it with pesto. Yummy!
Price S.
on 7/16/11 9:07 pm - Mills River, NC
I still haven't learned to cook for the new me and hubby so I always have leftovers.  My lunch is usually whatever I had leftover from the night before.  If I make a whole lot of something, I freeze it in ice cube trays and pop it out into freezer bags.  With my trays, 2 cubes = 1/4c.  So I can take them and let them thaw while getting to lunch time or just pop then in the microwave and eat with my lunch.  I do this a lot with bean soup, taco bake, etc.  Right now I am also eating stuff from the garden so I am never without a supply of veggies.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/16/11 9:14 pm - OH
It really depends on what kinds of veggies you like...  I tend to eat very plainly prepared veggies and sides (usually just steamed/baked or with a little melted cheese).  For some really odd reason, I just LOVE green beans since my surgery, so I eat a lot of those (low in calories and carbs).  Some of the other non-salad type veggie/starch "sides" that I have a lot are refried beans with a little cheese (bonus - protein in both items), steamed broccoli and cauliflower (with or without some melted cheese... I buy some little individual serving microwavable frozen ones that are easy to take to work and then add my own cheese rather than eat the ones with the high fat processed cheese sauce), a couple of bites of a baked potato, a bit of guacamole (low in carbs).  Some people also really like spaghetti squash and asparagus as sides.

I assume the plan is specific about adding back in veggies only (and that you are not yet allowed to have fruit...?  (I personally like fruits more than veggies, so in the summer I usually have sides of fruit.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sasrah1972
on 7/16/11 9:29 pm - NY
My sides this week include:

Taboule (quinoa with chopped tomato, cucumber, mint, parsley and garbanzo beans--TONS of fiber and good protein)
Chopped salad (chopped cucumber, chopped tomato, chopped scallion or purple onion, garbanzo beans, chopped red/orange pepper, with some light feta cheese crumbled on top)

That's yummy for me right now...hope it will get you thinking!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

Sweetn9277
on 7/16/11 9:32 pm - NY
Ive cut a zucchini into strips like "french fries" and sprinkled some spices on them with a drizzle of olive oil and grilled them.     Very tasty!!
GastricKitty
on 7/16/11 11:11 pm - VA
Go on theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and search for her skewer recipes. That's a way to get in veggies, meat, and cheese and it looks pretty too. She has tons of them.
missjann
on 7/17/11 2:11 am
I make a home-made veggie beef soup with lots of beans in it and eat on it all week.  I also make tostadas...can buy the shells at my local grocery. I use fat-free refried beans, cheese, enchilada sauce, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, avocado and a few olives. YUM and it takes minutes to whip up.  You can also use the shells to make a mini pizza...I use beans, finely chopped chicken and veggies.  I don't do well with bread or wraps so the tostada shells are my base for lots of different toppings.  Good luck!
    Jan