Stuff for protein shakes

dice43a
on 7/17/11 6:35 am - OH
 Hello everyone i have a question.  The doc gave me a sheet with protein info and stuff for when i come home from surgery thurs or friday.  I got the protein powder i got from walmart .  i was told to stay at 5g of fat or under and 3g of sugar.  i went to buy skim milk and it has 12g of sugar.  the doc said to use 1 percent or skim but if it has 12g of sugar it doesnt make sense.  Help.

" If life is a bowl of cherries then, what am i doing in the pits?"   "Erma Bombeck"           
unewillow
on 7/17/11 6:43 am - CT
Lactose and fructose (natural sugars found in dairy and fruit) are not the same as refined sugars (ie: white sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc) and most people can tolerate higher levels of them without experiencing dumping. Your doc most likely wants you to keep those refined sugars under 3g...but when in doubt, call and ask.

poet_kelly
on 7/17/11 7:14 am - OH
I assume your doc meant to use a protein powder with no more than three grams of sugar.  Milk has sugar in it in the form of lactose.  There is no such thing as sugar free milk.  I assume your doc knows that.  Now, you could make protein drinks with water instead of milk if you want, but if your doc recommended using milk, then I assume he's not concerned about that sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 7:43 am - CA
  You might want to look into " Hood calorie countdown" it's a low carbohydrate milk. I use that and Silk unsweetened almond milk.

My local Wal- mart carries them both.
LorienMI
on 7/17/11 8:04 am - Grand Blanc, MI

You may also want to pick up some soy milk, as an option.  I found post-op that I was highly lactose intolerant!  It gives me an upset stomach and I feel terrible (almost like when you have the flu) for about 1/2 hour after I drink it.

The good news ... Soy Milk has a very long shelf-life and comes in different flavors (although I prefer the plain, lite variety ... I know - boring)!!   

sunpat41
on 7/17/11 8:28 am
I also use the walmart protein and I always mix it with water
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

dice43a
on 7/17/11 9:01 am, edited 7/17/11 9:02 am - OH
 i must have read wrong as usual lol.  the paper said to use water or skim milk.  The paper said to read labels and when buying food or drinks look for 5g fat and 3g sugar or under and i mistook that to mean milk.  I tried the walmart protein a little while ago with the milk and its not bad, a little chalky but so far not bad.  I hope after surgery i can still tolerate it lol.

" If life is a bowl of cherries then, what am i doing in the pits?"   "Erma Bombeck"           
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 561 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 548 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics