how much should fit in my pouch

Michelle Forth
on 7/18/11 1:50 am - Dade City, FL
I am a year and a half out.. I know I should know how much I should eat.. but I dont. I think I eat to little.. dont know.. when I have oatmeal I eat half the pack.. can I fit a ehole pqck and not stretch my pouch?  What about a sandwich... Half or whole? meat and sides for dinner?  sorry I moved away a year ago and I dont have any support here so I am really trying to do this...
Thank you
Michelle

Jenny_D
on 7/18/11 2:42 am - Canton, GA
 If you are following your plan and not drinking 30 minutes before or after your meals, chewing everything very well and eating meals very slowly, you should stop when you feel satiated. That's how much your pouch holds. :)

There is no easy answer because everyone is different. Some people have bigger pouches than others or can tolerate more food. I could eat a packet of oatmeal at two weeks out and not feel stuffed, but I can never finish a half of a tuna sandwich made on one of those Arnold thin sandwich rounds.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

siberiancat
on 7/18/11 2:43 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
My plan 18 months and forever calls for 8 oz total.(4 oz protein & 4 oz veggie/fruit or whole grain).

There are some things that are made mostly from water (organic baby greens, peppers, cucumber,tomatoes, most berries, melons, etc.) and I can eat more than 4 oz because after chewing really well, they are mostly "slush" in my pouch and drip out rather quickly.  I can eat 2 cups of organic baby greens salad or one cup of sliced strawberries.

Dense foods (like meat or whole grains****ep to 3-4 oz.

I don't do sandwiches.  I eat the protein first - then veggie or fruit and then IF I have any room I eat 100% whole grain.

I try to stay away from simple carbs and most bread is high carbs and little nutritional value.

I do still keep a daily good log to make sure I get my daily totals where they need to be.

I also have planned snacks - always protein first, then veggie, fruit or whole grain.

Maybe others will give you more ideas.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

poet_kelly
on 7/18/11 3:42 am - OH
I'm two and half years out and I can eat about a cup of food at a time, give or take a little.  As far as sandwiches go, I can usually eat a whole grilled cheese if it's on real thin bread but if it's a sandwich with lots of stuff on it, I can only eat half.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 7/18/11 6:15 am
I'm 9 yrs out and I still follow the portions my doc suggested. I was on 1/4 cup for the first 3 months, up to 1/2 cup by 6 months out, 3/4 cup at 9 months and he had us work up to 1 cup to
1 1/4 cups per meal (x 3 times a day) after that. I still use that guideline for meals. I can fit in way more oatmeal than steak, more soup than chicken. Dense protein I can't fit in much, liquids or other soft foods (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc) I can fit more in. I don't do sandwiches so I can't help you there - I take the stuff out of a sandwich and I can eat about half, like ham and cheese. No breaad. I have meat for dinner and eat about 3 ounces and a bite or two of veggies. A cup of yogurt still fills me up as does a whole banana. I think we're all individual but ask your doc how big your pouch is our use guidelines like I do and see how it works out for you. You may or may not be eating too little, for me meal size is in direct proportion to my activity level. My meals are protein only or protein forward still. I eat an extra meal per day if I've exercised enough to warrant that. Figure out where you are exercise wise, and go from there. My calories are around 1000-1200 per day- with a few more on days I move more.
Hope this helps a little.
Jen 9+ yrs post op RNY
Michelle Forth
on 7/19/11 10:11 pm - Dade City, FL
Thank you everyone that does help and gives me a better idea on what to do... I had my surgery in Michigan and now I am in florida so my doctor  that did the surgery wont answer questions and I dont have a BAriatric doc here.. so thank you again

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 364 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 279 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 212 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 128 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?