About those chest pains....

frostylost
on 7/18/11 11:39 pm
I am still pre-op and have been lurking around for some time trying to get as much info as possible before the big day 8/29. I have read many posts on here by post-ops talking about various problems such as food getting "stuck", gas problems, incision pain, acid reflux etc. Most of the time the poster will use the term "chest pain" while describing their symptoms. Now that I am over 40 and overweight this is a concern to me since I already worry about the possibility of a heart attack. So I guess my question is...how do you really know if your "chest pain" is cause for alarm or not? A lot of people have said that food can feel "stuck" at the entrance of the new pouch causing a lot of pain. I know the pouch is located just behind the lower part of the breastbone but is there a difference between that sort of pain and true "chest pain" warranting a heart attack? I know I sound like a worry-wart but its just a concern of mine.
 ~I live each day in victory...because of the one who died for me~

HW: 289    SW:276    CW: 222  GW: 135~~~~~Monthly lbs lost> M1=15 M2=15 M3=14
WildHeart101
on 7/18/11 11:50 pm - Lexington, KY
Don't worry.  It's not like chest pain from a heart attack.  Everyone is different.  The only times I feel these "pains" are when I drink or eat too fast.  It doesn't happen very often and it's only temporary.  Heart attack pain doesn't go away most of the time.  You will definately know the difference and it's kinda hard to describe the "chest pain" from drinking too much. 
Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

aanmarie
on 7/18/11 11:54 pm - NY
Hello
When something gets stuck it's painful,but not like a heart attack.It's more like pain and bloating.For me I usually have to throw up to feel better.Although I'm doing much better with that now.It isn't a sharp pain like a heart attack though.I hope this helps.It's ok to ask questions better to know ahead of time.
Jenny_D
on 7/19/11 2:39 am - Canton, GA
 The best way I can describe it is that it feels like you swallowed a golf ball. It hurts, but the pain is like an object is stuck in there, not like a normal muscle pain.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

frostylost
on 7/19/11 4:23 am
Ok thanks to all you guys for your input, it is helpful to know your perspectives. I greatly appreciate it!!
 ~I live each day in victory...because of the one who died for me~

HW: 289    SW:276    CW: 222  GW: 135~~~~~Monthly lbs lost> M1=15 M2=15 M3=14